Director of Communications and Marketing
Overview: The Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for helping plan and implement a communications and marketing program with emphasis placed on student recruitment, support of development efforts, and visibility that puts the College in a position to fulfill its mission and meet its goals.
The director coordinates the College's integrated marketing communication efforts, an institution-wide cooperative endeavor to communicate effectively messages to College constituencies, and has responsibilities for supervision of public relations, media relations, print and electronic publications, social media, advertising and the College's website.
Reports to: Vice President for Enrollment and Communications
Experience: Bachelor's degree, master's preferred, and 8 to 10 years experience in marketing, public relations or college relations, with 5 of those years involving significant strategic marketing responsibilities and staff supervision.
- Direct the development, implementation, and assessment of an integrated marketing plan, both short and long term, to increase the visibility and enhance the image of the College to its key external and internal constituencies.
- Conduct an audit of current College identity and messaging, identifying attributes as defined by key audiences, benchmarking against peers and competitors, and developing relevant messages that enhance awareness of and affinity for Millsaps College.
- Direct the activity of the communications staff; prepare and supervise annual departmental budget; evaluate staff performance; interview and recommend candidates to fill vacant positions in the department; provide regular reports and the status of projects and activities.
- Oversee a communication department structure that defines the delegation of authority and responsibility to establish clear accountability for the content and quality of marketing activities, including email open-rates, web traffic, and social media analytics.
- Work with administration and departments to ensure that the marketing plans of departments complement and strengthen one other, as well as the College's strategic goals.
- Serve as a key resource to the Vice President and officers of the College, providing counsel on matters regarding public and community relations.
- Administer media relations program to cultivate and maintain local, regional, and national news media opportunities that advance the College.
- Guide the development and use of all publications and printed material produced to support the strategic efforts essential to sustaining the College's competitive position.
- Oversee the College's external electronic communications, including organization, appearance, content, and currency of websites and social media.
- Manage campus-wide announcements and emergency communications when necessary, utilizing all appropriate media proactively to inform and update relevant constituents.
- Work cooperatively with institutional advancement staff in planning and implementing strategies to support campaigns.
- Promote College events through an integrated calendar, communicating and marketing events to all constituents.
- Fulfill additional duties as assigned by the Vice President for Enrollment and Communications.
Send resume and references to:
Attn: Kenneth Townsend
1701 N. State Street
Jackson, MS 39210
You may also submit the above requirement by email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
The only national liberal arts college in Mississippi, Millsaps College has consistently been ranked a "Best Buy" among national liberal arts colleges by U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges and is cited as one of Loren Pope's 40 Colleges That Change Lives. It was the first institution in Mississippi with a Phi Beta Kappa chapter, and is the only institution in Mississippi ever to be listed in The Fiske Guide to Colleges.
Millsaps is a member of the ACS and NITLE, has an AACSB accredited business school, and an NCATE accredited education program. In accordance with Federal law, we are making available our Campus Security Report to all prospective employees. Millsaps is located in Jackson, the capital of the state. The Jackson area has a population of around 400,000 and offers low cost-of-living, excellent schools, pleasant climate, and many recreational opportunities.