Major Gifts Officer
Millsaps College is seeking an experienced, self-motivated, results-oriented Major Gifts Officer.
The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and maintains a strong working relationship with the Associate Vice President for Development Operations who supervises prospect management and fund raising activities. The MGO is an active member of the Institutional Advancement team who works collaboratively and strategically with the college President, other fund raising professionals, faculty, and other campus leaders.
The MGO position is full-time equivalent with evening and weekend requirements. The MGO is evaluated based on criteria including quantity and quality of contacts and the resulting funds raised.
- Manages a portfolio of major donors / prospects ($50K - $1M+) that includes alumni, parents, and friends of the College.
- Leads all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiates contacts with potential major gift donors.
- Develops authentic relationships.
- Develops appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies, including volunteers as needed.
- Moves prospects in a timely fashion to solicitation and closure.
- Maintains direct stewardship contact; monitors other contacts to ensure positive and purposeful donor relations.
- Effectively manages the details of a gifts officer including timely submission of contact and expense reports and utilization of the technical tools of fundraising.
- Focuses on securing gifts for campus-wide priorities that include but may not be limited to general endowment, academic programs, endowed chairs, scholarships, unrestricted support, facility renovations, new facilities, and campus improvements.
- Provides counsel to IA staff on alumni / outreach programming.
- Offers strategy counsel to the president, vice president, and advancement staff who manage prospects.
- Participates in key on-campus and off-campus events for the purposes of donor cultivation, enhancing familiarity with the Millsaps experience, and working collaboratively with Advancement staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of three years successful experience in fund raising or related fields, preferably major or planned gift fund raising in higher education
- Ability to focus primarily on current gifts but have a working knowledge of planned giving tools
- Ability to develop authentic relationships and understand the needs and interests of donors
- Interest in all aspects of higher education with dedication to promoting Millsaps' fund raising priorities
- Understanding of church related, residential liberal arts colleges or ability to learn quickly
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with a demonstrated record of completing assignments
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Strong decision-making skills, ability to work with confidential information; tact and discretion are essential
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas
- Ability to travel extensively
Send cover letter and resume to Major Gifts Position, Millsaps College, Campus Box 150433, 1701 N. State St., Jackson, MS 39210 or email to email@example.com
No phone calls please. Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
The only national liberal arts college in Mississippi, Millsaps College has consistently been ranked a "Best Buy" among national liberal arts colleges by U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges and is cited as one of Loren Pope's 40 Colleges That Change Lives. It was the first institution in Mississippi with a Phi Beta Kappa chapter, and is the only institution in Mississippi ever to be listed in The Fiske Guide to Colleges.
Millsaps is a member of the ACS and NITLE, has an AACSB accredited business school, and an NCATE accredited education program. In accordance with Federal law, we are making available our Campus Security Report to all prospective employees. Millsaps is located in Jackson, the capital of the state. The Jackson area has a population of around 400,000 and offers low cost-of-living, excellent schools, pleasant climate, and many recreational opportunities.