In 1926, several students decided that there was a need for an area where students could gather between their classes to linger. So, the classes of 1926, 1927, and 1928 held a conference and settled on a plan to erect a bench located between Murrah Hall and the Major's Tomb. It is now known to most students simply as the "M Bench," having borrowed its name from the famous "C Bench" at the University of Chicago. The project was the dream of Bill Ewing, Catherine Pail, Orrin Swayze, and many other members of the student body. The romantic tradition of the "M Bench" is that the first person a Millsaps student kisses on the bench is the person he or she will marry. It is now known to most students simply as the "M" Bench, and professors often use it as a warm-weather classroom.
The Purple and White, October 29, 1948, p. 3.