A A A print this page

Teacher Licensure

Department of Education


Why teacher licensure? If you want a job when you graduate, have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others, enjoy a challenge, and plan and participate in the future, get teacher licensure. The employment rate for graduates with teacher licensure is almost 100%. If you want to teach, with Millsaps elementary or secondary teacher licensure, you can.

Click the following links for more information on teacher licensure at Millsaps College.

Below are frequently asked questions and helpful websites for students and individuals interested in teacher licensure.

How do I plan my program of study?
The numerous options may seem overwhelming at first.  How many areas should I get licensure in?  Should I student teach abroad?  Do I have enough time.  Come by the Education department and faculty  will get you started. Students should complete most of the Core and foreign language requirements and IDS 1600 (a CORE 6 course) before taking more Education courses.

Can anyone major in Education and/or receive teacher licensure?  NO!
Unlike other majors, specific requirements must be met before a student can be formally admitted to the teacher licensure program. Students must have a GPA of 2.75 or above at some time during her/his Millsaps career AND pass the Praxis I, or score 21 or higher on ACT, or score 860 or higher on SAT.

I am a senior. Am I too late to get teacher licensure?  Maybe not!
This depends on 1.) the number of courses you have left to take in order to graduate and complete your major, and 2.) if you desire traditional teacher licensure. Most seniors who ask this question desire secondary licensure. Remember, traditional licensure requires the student teaching semester. If you can take the four Education courses required for a MINOR (see #4 above) BEFORE you graduate, you can student teach at reduced tuition the semester after you graduate. If you cannot do the student teaching semester, you still have the option to teach in a private school because their licensure requirements do not always demand the student teaching semester.

How do I find up-to-date information on teacher licensure?
Go to:  http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/educator-licensure
Visit the website of the Mississippi Department of Education regularly for current information. They offer information on licensure guidelines K-12, alternate route programs, highly qualified teachers as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act, etc.

In what subject areas can I obtain teacher licensure?
The subject areas are decided by the Mississippi Department of Education, so look carefully at what area fits your particular major.  Go to http://www.mde.k12.ms.us

What salaries do teachers make in Mississippi?
To see the current Mississippi salary schedule go to:  http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/school-financial-services/school-financial-services-teacher-salary-schedule

What is the difference between traditional teacher licensure and alternate route licensure after graduation?
Traditional teacher licensure allows a graduate more flexibility and employment opportunities because the license has reciprocity with most states. Alternate licensure only applies in Mississippi. There are numerous alternate route programs and they vary from state to state. To see your options, go to: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/educator-licensure/alternate-route-programs

How do I find scholarship information?
Go to: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/teacher-center/scholarships-and-loan-forgiveness

I need information about loan forgiveness for Stafford and Perkins Loans?
Call 1‑800‑433‑3243 or visit http://www.studentaid.ed.gov

How do I find teaching vacancies?
Go to: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/docs/teacher-center/teacher-vacancy.htm

How do I find school districts, superintendents, schools, addresses, and telephone numbers?
Go to: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/map

What is the "No Child Left Behind Act?"

Important Phone Numbers You Need To Know:          

  • MS Teacher Center - 601-359-3631
  • Office of Licensure - 601-359-3483
  • State Student Financial Aid - 1-800-327-2980
  • MS Teacher Fellowship Program - 1-888-611-5160


Mississippi State Department of Education

Mississippi State Department
Everything you wanted to know about education and teaching in the State of Mississippi.

Mississippi Teacher Licensure
Guidelines and applications for a Mississippi teacher's license and certification.

Mississippi Teacher Center
Information on programs and services provided by the Mississippi State Department of Education. These are designed to attract and retain quality teachers in Mississippi.

Mississippi Schools - Job Openings
Current vacancies in Mississippi Schools and contact information. This list is updated regularly by the Mississippi Teacher Center.

Mississippi School Districts
Alphabetical list of school district office superintendents, addresses, and phone numbers.


Resources for Teachers

An online databases for publicly funded K-12 schools, public libraries, community college libraries, and university libraries in Mississippi.

Thematic Units
A free site for teachers that contains Thematic Units.


United States Department of Education

Department of Education
National education initiatives.

State Departments of Education
Addresses, telephone numbers and contacts for other state departments of education.


Mississippi Graduate Programs

Alcorn State University
Offers Masters and Specialist programs in Elementary, Secondary Education and Administration.

Delta State University
Offers Masters, Specialist, and Doctorate programs in Elementary and Secondary Education and Administration.

Jackson State University
Offers Masters, Specialist, and Doctorate programs in Elementary and Secondary Education and Administration.

Mississippi College
Offers Masters programs in Education and Administration.

Mississippi State University
Offers Masters, Specialist, and Doctorate programs in Elementary and Secondary Education and Administration.

Mississippi University for Women
Offers Masters programs in education.

University of Mississippi
Offers Masters, Specialist, and Doctorate programs in Elementary and Secondary Education and Administration.