Friday, January 31, 2015
Thank you for your interest in Arts Scholars Day 2015.
Please fill out the Arts Scholars application to begin the registration process for your audition.
For questions, please contact Arts Scholars Day coordinator Suzanne Glemot via phone at (601) 974-1257 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arts Scholars Day is designed for students interested in our talent-based scholarships in art, art history, music, and theatre. Scholarships are awarded based on portfolio reviews, auditions, and/or interviews, and may be offered to students who will major in the arts and also to non-majors interested in participating in the arts at Millsaps.
In 2014, $1,500 to $15,000 per year were awarded to qualifying Arts Scholars in addition to the merit based scholarships students had already received upon their acceptance to the college.
To be considered for these scholarships, interested students must apply to the college by the Regular Decision deadline of Sunday, February 1, 2015. Additionally, students must complete their Arts Scholars application by 4:00 pm on Friday, January 16, 2015. Confirmation of completion will be sent via email, as well as audition or interview time, practice/warm up information, and directions to Millsaps College.
Portfolio Requirements: Your portfolio should consist of eight to fifteen original works in any medium, showing a range of your abilities and a sense of your development as an artist. We are especially interested in seeing evidence of your ability to draw from observation. We are happy to look at sketchbooks, and you are not required to mat your artwork. Also include a one-page essay about a work of art that you included in your portfolio, using the following guidelines:
1) Briefly describe the work (including subject, medium, dimensions, and context of its making: e.g., was it a class assignment or your own idea, and if representational, was it done from life or from a photograph?).
2) What most pleases you about this work (in terms of the style, use of medium, and/or content)?
3) What challenges did you face in making this work?
Art History Requirements: Your application should consist of the following writing samples:
1) one humanities paper written during high school,
2) one paragraph on why you are interested in art history, and
3) a 1-2 page essay discussing an art work. For this essay in which you describe and critique an artwork of your choosing, please do not do any on-line or book research. We are interested in your ability to analyze the formal elements of the image as well as what you consider its larger meaning. Send a copy of the art work or a link to an on-line image along with your essay. Our interview on the Arts Scholars Day will consist of a conversation with you about these materials.
Performance Focus Requirements: All students interested in performance must audition and submit an artist statement, as follows:
Directions to Millsaps from I-55:
Take Woodrow Wilson Drive, Exit 98A, to second light. Turn left on to North State Street. Millsaps College is on the right. For individual visits, use the Whitworth Circle entrance at the Oakwood traffic light. For visit programs, use the North Security Gate entrance at the Riverside traffic light.