Core 1 Guidelines
Core 1 Manual: Writing at Millsaps (PDF)
Core 1 Courses
Our Core 1 IDST 1000/1050: Introduction to Thinking and Writing course offerings and their designated audiences are the following:
- Core 1 IDST 1000 offered fall only for traditional freshmen
- Core 1 IDST 1050 offered fall and spring for transfer students
- WritProg 1000 offered spring by recommendation
Unsatisfactory Progress with Core 1 or Writing Proficiency
- If you do not pass Core 1 IDST 1000 or 1050: you must retake the course the next time that it is offered.
- If you pass Core 1 IDST 1000 or 1050, but your writing is assessed below proficient: you will be recommended to take WritProg 1000.
- If you pass Core 1 IDST 1000 or 1050, but your writing is not proficient: you will be required to take WritProg 1000.
- If your writing still is not proficient upon your completion of WritProg 1000: you will be required to take an intensive writing course at Millsaps during summer school. Whether or not you continue at Millsaps will depend upon your performance in this course.
- If you do not pass WritProg 1000, your continuance at Millsaps will be determined in consultation with the Director of the Writing Program and the Dean of the College.
If you believe that the final assessment of your writing portfolio is inaccurate, then you may appeal the decision of the assessors by consulting the Director of the Writing Program. Your case will then be considered by the Writing Council, in consultation with the Dean of the College.