Preventing Crime on Campus
Our hope is that everyone in the Millsaps College campus community will see crime prevention as their responsibility. Crime prevention can occur when anyone takes even the smallest steps to remove or reduce the risk of a criminal act.
Below are some tips that can reduce the risk of being victimized:
- Lock your door whenever you leave your room for any length of time.
- Always lock your vehicle doors, and never leave valuables in plain sight
- Never prop open a residence hall door.
- Do not leave valuables unattended on campus. Keep laptops, backpacks, purses, iPods, etc. with you or in your view.
- Do not loan your room key or Millsaps ID to anyone.
- Do not put your name or address on your room key.
- Take all valuables with you when you leave school for extended periods, such as breaks.
- Itemize your possessions on file, recording the description and serial number. Keep a copy of the file in a safe place. (see Property Identification Form for help with this!)
- Never let unauthorized persons into your room, residence hall or secure areas.
- Report any suspicious activity or suspicious persons on campus to Campus Safety immediately at 601-974-1234.
- Avoid working or studying alone in a campus building. If working late, Campus Safety officers can provide safety escorts to/from res halls to other buildings, from vehicles to buildings, etc. Call 601-974-1234 to arrange for an escort.