Rocky Springs UMC, Claiborne County

One of the earliest Methodist churches in the state, Rocky Springs was founded in 1805 and its building  was erected in 1837: it is essentially unchanged today.  Services are still offered.  The town of Rocky Springs was founded around 1796 and some of its earliest missionaries were Lorenzo Dow, Tobias Gibson and Moses Floyd.  The first pastor was Rev. Thomas Owens who served until 1859.  While the Rocky Springs community no longer exists, due to a number of factors - poor land management, disease, perhaps the decline in the use of the Natchez Trace - the current address is Old Port Gibson Road, Utica, Miss. 39175. The National Park Service maintains a campsite nearby on the Natchez Trace and Little Sand Creek where General U.S. Grant's 40,000 troops camped 1863 during his approach to Vicksburg. The church includes an interesting cemetery. Rocky Springs is accessible from the Natchez Trace, approximately 35 miles from Clinton, or from Old Port Gibson Rd.

Source: William L. Jenkins. Mississippi United Methodist Churches. Franklin, TN. Providence House Publishers.  1998. This title is available at the J. B. Cain Archives.