Asbury Church, which was to play a pivotal role in the history of black Mississippi Methodism, was organized in June, 1866 with Moses Adams as the first pastor. The Upper Mississippi Conference was organized here in 1891. Bishop E. J. Johnson was the presiding bishop. The Mississippi Conference, before dividing, was held at Holly Springs in December 1871. Rust College was organized at Asbury in 1866. The following persons have entered the ministry from this church: C.A. Talbert, M.L. Talbert, M.W. Lindsey, Richard Bynum, and C.F. Golden. Hiram Revels was buried here in January, 1901. The last session of the Upper Mississippi Conference was held at Holly Springs: The Conference began here in 1891 and ended here in 1974 when it was merged with the North Mississippi Conference.
Source: Jenkins, William L. Mississippi United Methodist Churches: Two Hundred Years of Heritage and Hope. Franklin, Tennessee: Providence House. 1998. Additional information: Graham, J.H. Our Templed Hill. Privately printed. 1991. (Both titles are available at the J. B. Cain Archives.)