A A A print this page

Port Gibson UMC

Tobias Gibson and Lorenzo Dow, missionaries to the Mississippi Territory at the turn of the 19th century, both traveled in the area of "Gibsonport" named for Samual Gibson who settled here in 1788.  Although the date of 1826 is recognized as the official organization of the Methodist church, it is known the church dates as far back as 1801 or soon thereafter. The original church constructed in 1826 burned in 1858. The present structure was built in 1860.

Source; Jenkins, William L. Mississippi United Methodist Churches: Two Hundred Years of Heritage and Hope. Franklin, Tennessee. 1998.  This title is available in the J. B. Cain Archives.