The Maintenance Technician (HVAC) reports to the Facilities Management Asst. Director. This position is primarily responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks in the following areas; general maintenance, HVAC and electrical.
- Maintain and perform preventative maintenance on controls and related equipment; adjust and calibrate equipment when necessary.
- Install and replace all types of pumps or refrigeration equipment, pneumatic valves, electric valves, heat transfer equipment, ventilation, and air distribution equipment according to prints, specifications, diagrams, or other instructions.
- Diagnoses, repairs, and maintains existing HVAC systems including chilling and heating systems and checks chemical treatments.
- Respond to complaints regarding HVAC equipment and adjust or repair where necessary..
- Perform all repairs on pumps, compressors, and related equipment.
- Perform minor electrical and pipefitting repairs to HVAC systems.
- Troubleshoots fire alarm systems; maintains and repairs computer automated control systems.
- Coordinates projects with outside contractors.
- Orders and secures materials for jobs as needed
- Perform minor repairs and /or replacement of electrical fixtures, devices, and appliances as required.
- Perform carpentry work when necessary to repair windows, doors, hardware, screens, and furniture. Repair dry wall, patch and finish.
- Observe and report, through the work order system, any and all defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on the facilities.
- Assist in coordination major repairs, painting, and setting up within scheduled periods.
- Communicate, as directed, with key administrative and staff personnel on special events and functions scheduled for the campus that may require special furnishing arrangements and other services that may be required.
- Assist as required and cooperate with all tradespeople in the performance of day to day duties and responsibilities.
This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all inclusive. The Director or Asst. Director may assign other duties to meet mission requirements of the College and cooperation of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Facilities Management and work with skilled and unskilled personnel and administrators.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral
and written instructions. Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills.
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing missions of the College.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Mississippi Driver’s License.
- Must successfully complete a background check.
- Color vision.
- Ability to lift, push, and/or pull minimum 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder.
- Must be able to bend at waist, sit, kneel, lie horizontally, climb, walk, and reach
as job may require.
- High school diploma or GED.
- HVAC Certification.
- Three to five years’ experience in the care and maintenance of similar facilities; or any combination of education, training, or experience which fulfills the requirements of the position and needs of the College.
Qualified applicants should submit a current resume, a letter of interest and three references who may be contacted about the candidate’s experience and past performance. Materials including resume, references and salary requirements should be submitted via email to Michael Switzer, Director of Facilities Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Maintenance Technician HVAC” in the subject line of the email. Materials may also be delivered to Millsaps College, Attn: Julie Daniels, 1701 N. State Street Jackson, MS 39210.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.