Congratulations, you’re almost there!
We are excited to share that plans are underway to support a live, in-person commencement ceremony for the graduates of 2020 and 2021 on Saturday, May 8! This special event with socially-distanced seating will take place on Harper Davis Field. To make the event more comfortable, we are planning to begin commencement at 8:30 a.m. The event will also be livestreamed on both the college’s Facebook and YouTube channels.
Guests will be limited to four (4) per graduating student. Details on ticketing and seating for individuals with physical challenges will be provided as soon as possible. You can also share information about area hotels and restaurants with your guests.
Please note the following important information regarding commencement exercises:
- Masks will be required.
- Guests and participants are encouraged to get vaccinated prior to the event if possible.
- Family groups are encouraged to stay together and socially-distanced from other family groups.
The college will host a virtual baccalaureate service at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, May 7. This service will be broadcast on the college’s Facebook page and YouTube channel.
In the event of rain, commencement exercises will be held at the Jackson Convention Center located at 105 East Pascagoula Street in downtown Jackson. A decision on location will be made by Wednesday, May 5. Please note that if commencement exercises are moved to the convention center, the start time will be moved back one hour to 9:30 a.m.
Checklist for Commencement:
- Register for Commencement with the Office of Alumni & Parent Relations. This link will allow you to order your cap and gown, order an academic hood (if you are a MAcc or MBA degree candidate or undergraduate degree student completing the Honors Program), and complete the graduation survey. Please respond by April 11.
- For undergraduate students who are approaching graduation, schedule your core/major/degree audit with the Office of Records. This ensures you have all classes you need to graduate. If you intend on earning a minor to go along with your degree and major, you must have declared it by March 31. The Declaration of Minor form is obtained by emailing the Office of Records.
- For graduate students who are approaching graduation, meet with Director of Administration Naomi Freeman to ensure you have all the classes you need to graduate.
- Order your graduation announcements/invitations from Herff Jones.
- If you are a federal Direct Loan student borrower and/or a federal Perkins Loan student borrower, be sure to complete mandatory exit counseling for those loans. The Office of Financial Aid and the Business Office will be contacting you by email to provide instructions for completing the federally required loan exit counseling online. Federal Direct Loans and federal Perkins Loans are separate loan programs. If you received loans under both programs, you must complete online exit counseling for each type of loan.
- Pick up your cap and gown from the bookstore on Wednesday, May 5, Thursday, May 6 or Friday, May 7, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Attend the “Last Hurrah” celebration, welcoming the classes of 2020 and 2021 into the Millsaps Alumni Association. This will be held at 7 pm on Thursday, May 6, at Harper Davis Field.
- Attend graduation rehearsal Friday, May 7, at 2 p.m. The rehearsal is mandatory for all degree candidates (both undergraduate and graduate). Information about location will be provided at a later date.
- Attend the virtual baccalaureate service on Friday, May 7. The service will be broadcast on the college’s Facebook page and YouTube channel.
- Consider what you want to wear to the commencement ceremony. Proper commencement attire includes cap and gown. It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothing underneath the gown, as commencement exercises are scheduled for Harper Davis Field and it can get warm. Dark, comfortable, closed-toe shoes are also recommended. You are also requested to wear flat shoes, as high heels can damage the turf field. Caps should be worn at all times, but may be removed as indicated by the actions of the Provost and Dean of the College.
- On Saturday, May 8, at 7:30 a.m., you will meet in the Hangar Dome where you will secure your numbered cards. Academic attire (caps and gowns) is required. At 8:30 a.m., commencement activities will begin on Harper Davis Field. In case of rain, the ceremony will be held at the Jackson Convention Center, located at 105 East Pascagoula Street in downtown Jackson at 9:30am.
- After commencement, please return to the Hangar Dome to return your gown. The class of 2021 will pick up diplomas at this time. In case of rain, you will be notified of a different location for robe return and diploma pick-up. You can keep your cap!
- If you would like to purchase any Millsaps gifts, accessories, or apparel, the bookstore is open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the day of commencement (except during the ceremony). You can also order online later.
- Complete your survey for the Career Center. The college’s support for you and your career doesn’t end when you graduate!
- Residence halls and fraternity houses will close Saturday, May 8, at 5 p.m. In addition, your Millsaps ID card will no longer work after this time.
- After you have left campus and are settled down, don’t forget to order photos from commencement! You will receive information from Professional Images Photography with details on how to order.
- Information Technology Services (ITS)will disable and delete your @millsaps.edu email address early in the fall semester after you have graduated. If you plan on attending graduate school at Millsaps College, please let ITS know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so they do not disable/delete your account. If you are not continuing your education at Millsaps, be sure to clean out your email and start letting your contacts know of your new (non-Millsaps) email address.
- If you need your mail forwarded from your campus box to a new address, You’ll need to fill out this form to have mail forwarded.
- Order any official transcripts you may need to be sent to graduate school or your new employer through the Office of Records.
- Check the MBench for alumni chapters in your area as you head to your new destination. And mark your calendars for October 8-10, 2021, so you can return to celebrate Millsaps Homecoming with the alumni family. For any other alumni needs, contact the Alumni Relations Office at email@example.com.