Pressure continues to slowly return throughout campus. As has been the case throughout this week, please do not attempt to flush toilets in non-designated areas or utilize other water fixtures until they can be inspected. In addition, if you should notice water accumulating, please call campus safety so that the valves to fixtures can be turned off until they can be inspected and/or repaired.
Because the timeline for water pressure stabilization from the city is still uncertain, the college’s emergency management team will make an announcement by no later than noon Saturday, February 27, regarding if virtual classes will be extended beyond Friday, February 26.
Water pressure may be low, but team spirit this weekend for our student-athletes is high! Weekend events that will be streamed for free online at gomajors.com include:
• Men’s Soccer vs. Mississippi College, Friday – 6 p.m.
• Women’s Soccer vs. Spring Hill, Saturday – 1:30 p.m.
• Baseball vs. Berry, Saturday – 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. – Smith-Wills Field
• Baseball vs. Berry, Sunday – 10:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. – Smith-Wills Field
• Men’s Basketball at Birmingham-Southern, Friday – 6 p.m.
• Volleyball at Hendrix, Sunday – 11 a.m. & 1p.m.
• Men’s Basketball at Birmingham-Southern, Saturday – 1 p.m.
• No. 7 Women’s Basketball at Birmingham-Southern, Saturday – 4 p.m.
• No. 7 Women’s Basketball at Birmingham-Southern, Sunday – 12 p.m.
In addition, although not streamed, live results for the SAA Cross Country Running Championships this Saturday will be posted at gomajors.com.
In addition, please pay attention to these ongoing updates:
• Port-a-potties are located near the residence halls, including two in Olin Circle, one behind Susanna Hall, one in between the south gate and Ezelle Hall and one near New South Hall/Campus Safety. Please utilize these facilities as you are able. In addition, water buckets should remain near the designated first floor restrooms. Port-a-potties are also available on the plaza between the College Center and the HAC and in the parking lot of the Academic Complex.
• Shower trailers are located in the parking lot of the Academic Complex. To enhance the security of the area, the gate from Park Avenue will be closed and locked until further notice. The shower trailers are gender-specific and ADA-compliant. They are available to residential students and staff on a first-come, first-served basis and will be monitored during open hours and locked at all other times. Bottled water and hand sanitizer will be located inside the shower trailers; please do not drink any water with the exception of the bottled water. Shower trailer hours are 7:00 a.m. through 10:00 a.m. and again from 5:00 p.m. through 8:00 p.m.
• Although still fluctuating, the water pressure is back up in Goodman Hall, and showers are available there tonight (2/26) from 6:00 p.m. through 8:00 p.m. as well as tomorrow, February 27, from 7:00 a.m. through 1:00 p.m. and again from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Come to 101 Goodman and you will be issued a key to a room with a shower.
• Anyone traveling on and off campus is reminded to take the college’s COVID-19 protocols seriously; specifically maintaining social distance, tracking symptoms with Campus Clear and washing hands or use hand sanitizer frequently. There are free testing options throughout Mississippi; consult the Mississippi State Department of Health for more information. The college’s COVID-19 webpage has information specific to Millsaps College.
• The college cafeteria continues to be open from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for brunch/lunch and from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. for dinner.
• The college has partnered with The Laundry Fairy, 1046 Greymont Street, to offer residential students and staff the ability to do their laundry free of charge. Simply take your laundry, soap and Millsaps ID to between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to wash your clothes and Millsaps will pick up the tab. Weekend hours are traditionally busy so please plan accordingly. Students who do not have a vehicle and can’t carpool safely with another student should email email@example.com to make travel arrangements.
• Drinking water, toiletries, hand sanitizer, baby wipes and snacks continue to be available on campus 24-7 near the student life front desk. Students are reminded to bring a backpack to help transport these items back to residence halls.
• Showers are available to all residential Millsaps students and staff at the Flowood YMCA, 690 Liberty Road, Flowood, MS, 29232, during normal operating hours. Bring your Millsaps ID card, your toiletries, a towel and shower shoes. Students who do not have a vehicle and can’t carpool safely with another student should email firstname.lastname@example.org to make travel arrangements.
• Students are reminded to only use the designated first floor restrooms in the residence halls; all other restrooms are closed. Buckets of non-potable water are located in these restrooms to assist in the toilet-flushing process.
• All classes, including evening classes, will be held remotely through Friday, February 26. The college’s emergency management team will make an announcement by no later than noon Saturday, February 27, regarding if virtual classes will be extended beyond Friday, February 26.
• While we are cautiously optimistic that staff will be able to return to work as normal next week, the college’s emergency management team will make an announcement by no later than noon tomorrow/Saturday, February 27.
The college’s emergency management team will continue to monitor the situation and will update the community as details develop. Email email@example.com with any questions. In case of an emergency call Campus Safety at 601-974-1234.