Dear Millsaps College students, faculty and staff,
As students return to campus next week and our staff and faculty gear up for another semester, we are all aware of the impact of COVID-19 on our region, state and nation.
The COVID-19 Readiness Committee, in conjunction with the college’s Executive Staff, remains steadfast in its commitment to set policies and procedures that will decrease the risk of COVID-19 infection while maintaining Millsaps’ vision to provide transformative learning and leadership experiences both in and outside the classroom.
Beginning immediately and consistent with the Mississippi State Department of Health Guidance for College and University Settings (August 4, 2021) specific to the COVID-19 pandemic, Millsaps College:
- Strongly recommends that all eligible students, faculty and staff receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Approximately 70% of faculty and staff and 50% of students have submitted verification of full vaccination. Students are encouraged to email a photo of their vaccination card to email@example.com; faculty and staff to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Requires that masks be worn indoors on campus regardless of vaccination status. Click here to read the college’s mask regulations and protocols. Masks are currently not required outdoors when social distancing can be maintained.
- Requires that students, faculty and staff maintain physical distance between individuals/one another in all public campus spaces, including classrooms. A minimum of three feet of physical distance between individuals is preferred whenever practical. In classrooms or other spaces with fixed seating, individuals should skip a seat between one another to increase physical distance.
- Reminds its community that regular hand washing/sanitizing is one of the most important steps anyone can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs. The college will continue to offer sanitizing supplies in all buildings.
- Requires that all on-campus social events follow all COVID-19 policies and that outside groups requesting facility rental be purposefully limited and by approval only on a case-by-case basis.
- Reserves the right to change its requirements at any time based on health indicators throughout the semester.
- Is working through quarantine, isolation and testing protocols and scenarios for students, faculty and staff specific to exposure to COVID-19 for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, as well as those who have had a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past three months. These protocols will be based on current best practices and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Mississippi State Department of Health and our colleagues at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. This information will be detailed in updated employee and student COVID-19 guidelines for the fall semester which will be posted to the COVID-19 website as soon as possible.
- Plans to offer free on campus vaccination clinics to students, faculty and staff at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Understands that this is a difficult, complicated and fluid situation for all of us, and encourages that we offer our friends and colleagues grace, flexibility and understanding as we each play a role in keeping our community as safe and healthy as possible.
The COVID-19 Readiness Committee will continue to update the community as policies adjust to new and updated information. In the meantime, please email questions to email@example.com.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as the college prepares for the fall semester.
The COVID-19 Readiness Committee