August is right around the corner, and we can’t wait to have you back on campus! Our faculty and staff are doing everything possible to prepare both the classroom and the campus for your return. From cleaning supplies in every building to directional signage to branded Millsaps cloth facemasks for all community members, we are confident that your return to Millsaps—although somewhat different because of COVID-19—will be both fun and safe.
How will the on-campus experience change? From a staggered move-in to more time between classes to allow for social distancing, here are some of the updates:
- We will reduce the in-class time blocks by 10 minutes at the end to provide a total of 20 minutes between class times.
- Office hours, advising and out-of-classroom meetings with faculty will happen either remotely or in spaces that are large enough to allow for appropriate social distancing.
- CASE and Writing Center consultation appointments will be held remotely.
- Faculty will be provided personal teaching kits of whiteboard markers (or chalk in appropriate rooms), erasers and other class tools.
- Following a systematic review of all teaching spaces, we have reduced the seating capacity in many of them to allow for safer learning environments. While we are not insisting on a strict 6-foot minimum between students in every space, we are spacing desks and workspaces out intentionally, limiting the opportunities for face-to-face interactions, and most importantly requiring facemasks to be worn in all classes, laboratories and studio settings.
- You will not be permitted to gather outside of classrooms, laboratories or studios before or after classes.
- Teaching spaces with multiple doors will have dedicated entry-ways and exits.
- All members of the community will self-monitor for symptoms, including taking your temperature before coming to class or campus each day.
- Faculty will distribute sanitizing wipes to each student at the conclusion of each class and students will wipe down their desk or work space.
- Facemasks will be provided and required, and should be worn in interactions with the public and in groups and always when social distancing is not possible.
- The dining hall will feature complete meals at all stations to minimize the need to move around the cafeteria and enable social distancing. Self-serve options will be discontinued for the time being.
- Campus move-in will be August 18–23, and it will be staggered to reduce crowding. More information on move-in will follow, but we are recommending that you bring two to three cloth masks in addition to those provided to you by the college, disinfecting wipes for personal use, appropriate household cleaning supplies, anti-fever medication, a thermometer and a laptop or tablet capable of completing classroom assignments and running video conference programs.
A variety of resources are available to you as you prepare to return to campus, including our Summer 2020 Return to Campus guidelines. You are also encouraged to view the college’s May 19, 2020 virtual student town hall as well as consult the Return to Campus graphic.
Questions? Email the Student Life Team at email@example.com.
We can’t wait to see you soon!
Demitrius “Demi” Brown
Dean of Students, Chief Diversity Officer & Title IX Coordinator