The Federal Work Study Community Service Program (FWSCS) encourages students who are awarded work study funds to work in their community. Students work in jobs providing community services with local nonprofit, governmental and community-based organizations and are designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs.

What are the benefits of taking a Community Service Work Study position?

  • You can help improve the quality of life of members of your community.
  • You can earn your Federal Work Study funds.
  • You will gain solid work experience to add to your resumé.
  • You will acquire professional contacts and networking opportunities in your community and school.
  • You can make a difference!

What do I need to know about Community Service Work Study?

  • Students must submit the FAFSA and qualify for Federal Work Study annually.
  • The standard Community Service award is $800 per semester or $1600 per year.
  • Students work between 4 – 10 hours per week.
  • Students are paid monthly by Millsaps according to the payroll schedule established by the Student Employment Office.
  • Students will be required to complete the following forms before beginning work:
  • These documents must be supplied in person, with acceptable ID’s, to the Millsaps Student Employment Office.
    • Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
    • Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
    • Form 89-350-98-1, Mississippi Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate

Where will I work?

FWS students provide services in a variety of fields, including:

Health Care

Child Care

Literacy Training

Education (including Tutorial Services)


Social Services


Housing And Neighborhood Improvement

Public Safety

Crime Prevention and Control


Rural Development

Community Improvement

Emergency Preparedness and Response

Support Services for Students with Disabilities

Mentoring (tutoring, supporting educational and recreational activities and counseling including career counseling)

How do I apply for a Community Service Work Study position?

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually, answering yes to the question asking if you are interested in being considered for work-study.
  • Check Major Portal to see if your current Financial Aid Award Letter includes Federal Work Study.
  • Submit a job application through the Center for Career Education.
  • Notify the Office of Financial Aid at or 601.974.1220 that you are applying for a position.
  • Complete additional documentation as requested by the Millsaps Office of Financial Aid and the Work Site.