The City of Jackson is still impacted by low and no water pressure. Although the water pressure is increasing on campus, it is not yet high enough for standard operation. The college’s emergency management team sincerely appreciates your patience as the city works to restore water throughout Jackson.
As pressure slowly returns throughout campus, please do not attempt to flush toilets or utilize other water fixtures until they can be inspected. In addition, if you should notice water accumulating, please call Campus Safety (601-974-1234) so the valves to fixtures can be turned off until they can be inspected and/or repaired.
Shower trailers are now located in the parking lot of the Academic Complex. To enhance the security of the area, the gate from Park Avenue will be closed and locked until further notice.
Shower hours include:
• 7:00 a.m. through 10:00 a.m.
• 11:00 a.m. through 1:00 p.m.
• 5:00 p.m. through 8:00 p.m.
The shower trailers are gender-specific and ADA-compliant. They are available to residential students and staff on a first-come, first-served basis and will be monitored during open hours and locked at all other times. Bottled water and hand sanitizer will be located inside the shower trailers; please do not drink any water with the exception of the bottled water.
In addition, port-a-potties are in the process of being delivered throughout campus, including in the Gertrude C. Ford Academic Complex parking lot, near the Windgate Visual Arts Center, near the Maurice H. Hall Activities Center and near the residence halls. Specific locations will be announced when available.
In addition, please pay attention to these ongoing updates:
• Anyone traveling on and off campus is reminded to take the college’s COVID-19 protocols seriously; specifically maintaining social distance, tracking symptoms with Campus Clear and washing hands or use hand sanitizer frequently. There are free testing options throughout Mississippi; consult the Mississippi State Department of Health for more information. The college’s COVID-19 webpage has information specific to Millsaps College.
• UPDATE! Students may resume eating inside the cafeteria and are no longer required to take the food with them. The college cafeteria will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for brunch/lunch and from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. for dinner.
• The college has extended remote classes through Friday, February 26.
• The college has partnered with The Laundry Fairy, 1046 Greymont Street, to offer residential students and staff the ability to do their laundry free of charge. Simply take your laundry, soap and Millsaps ID to between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to wash your clothes and Millsaps will pick up the tab. Students who do not have a vehicle and can’t carpool safely with another student should email firstname.lastname@example.org to make travel arrangements.
• Need to get your mind off of things? The Office of Student Life is sponsoring the following activities for the rest of this week:
◦ Tonight/Tuesday – “Get Out” movie showing hosted by the Communications Department – 8 p.m., AC 215
◦ Wednesday – Virtual Escape Room hosted by Neon Entertainment – 7:00 p.m. through 9:00 p.m.
◦ Thursday – Green Ghost Taco Truck – 5:00 p.m., HAC parking lot
◦ Friday – Bingo – 7 p.m., McMullan Lecture Hall
• The Wesson Student Health Center will operate on the following hours:
◦ Wednesday: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
◦ Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
◦ Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
• Nurse Carol Landwirth is available for consultation at email@example.com. For counseling needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Our counseling team will work with students to determine the best way to meet with a counselor (virtually or in-person.)
• Drinking water, toiletries, hand sanitizer, baby wipes and snacks are available on campus 24-7 near the student life front desk. Students are reminded to bring a backpack to help transport these items back to residence halls.
• Showers are available to all residential Millsaps students and staff at the Flowood YMCA, 690 Liberty Road, Flowood, MS, 29232, during normal operating hours. Bring your Millsaps ID card, your toiletries, a towel and shower shoes. Students who do not have a vehicle and can’t carpool safely with another student should email email@example.com to make travel arrangements.
• Students are reminded to only use first floor restrooms in the residence halls; all other restrooms are closed. Buckets of non-potable water are located in these restrooms to assist in the toilet-flushing process.
• Campus shower and laundry facilities remain closed. Student Life staff will be entering residence hall suites and community bathrooms to ensure plumbing fixtures are turned off.
• All classes, including evening classes, will be held remotely through Friday, February 26. Please communicate directly with your students regarding virtual class details.
• Essential staff and those whose supervisors have deemed necessary to come to campus for an abbreviated period of time are required to report to campus tomorrow, Wednesday, February 24. Essential staff are asked to exercise caution when traveling and to contact supervisors with questions regarding on-campus operations.
• Non-essential staff are to work from home tomorrow, Wednesday, February 24, unless otherwise instructed by their supervisor.
The college’s emergency management team will continue to monitor the situation and will update the community as details develop. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. In case of an emergency, call Campus Safety at 601-974-1234.