The region’s winter weather advisory has transitioned to a hard freeze warning today (Friday, February 19) from 6:00 p.m. this evening through 9:00 a.m. tomorrow (Saturday) morning. However, campus remains severely impacted by the city’s low water pressure. The college’s facilities team is in constant communication with the City of Jackson about the situation on our campus and understands that the city is working as quickly as possible to rectify the situation at Millsaps and across town.
As road conditions slowly improve, students are encouraged to travel home or off campus if they may safely do so.
Students, please indicate your travel/residential plans by completing this online survey as soon as possible. It will help the college prepare for upcoming residential needs over the weekend.
In addition, please make note of the following important updates:
• NEW ITEM! Showers are available to all Millsaps students tomorrow, Saturday, February 20, from 7:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. at the Flowood YMCA, 690 Liberty Road, Flowood, MS 39232. Bring your Millsaps ID card, your toiletries, a towel and shower shoes. Students who do not have a vehicle and can’t carpool safety with another student should email email@example.com to make travel arrangements.
• All classes, including evening classes, will be held virtually through next Tuesday, February 23. We are hopeful classes will begin in-person on Wednesday, February 24. Professors will communicate with you directly regarding virtual class instructions.
• Water pressure is still low on campus as a result of freezing temperatures and breaks in the city’s water lines. Students are reminded to only use first floor restrooms in the residence halls; all other restrooms are closed. Buckets of non-potable water are located in these restrooms to assist in the toilet-flushing process.
• Campus shower and laundry facilities are currently closed.
• Until further notice, the college cafeteria will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for brunch/lunch and from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for dinner. Students will be required to take food out of the cafeteria for consumption.
• Need essentials like toothpaste, soap or snacks? Return the request for essentials online form before 4:00 p.m. today, February 19, 2021. Items can be picked up from the student life front desk one hour after the request is made.
• Wesson Health Center staff are working remotely. Call 601-974-1207 if you need assistance and leave a message with your call-back number or email the college nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• All on campus events this weekend have been cancelled, including athletic events.
• All classes, including evening classes, will be held remotely through Tuesday, February 23. Please communicate directly with your students regarding virtual class details.
• Only essential staff are required to report to campus tomorrow, Saturday, February 19. Essential staff are asked to exercise caution when traveling and to contact supervisors with questions regarding on-campus operations.
• The college’s emergency management team will keep the community up-to-date with campus operations and how work schedules may be impacted next week.
The college’s emergency management team will continue to monitor the situation and will update the community as details develop. Email email@example.com with any questions. In case of an emergency call Campus Safety at 601-974-1234.