The college’s emergency management team continues to monitor the weather as the National Weather Service has extended the area’s winter storm warning through Thursday, February 18 at 6:00 a.m. Outdoor conditions on campus remain hazardous as many walkways and sidewalks are icy. Please take great care when going outside and only leave your residence hall room when necessary.
Please make note of the following important updates:
- All classes, including evening classes, will be held remotely both Thursday and Friday, February 18 and 19. Professors will communicate directly with their students regarding virtual class details.
- Water pressure is still low on campus as a result of freezing temperatures in Jackson. Students are reminded to only use first floor restrooms in the residence halls. Buckets of non-potable water are located in these restrooms to assist with the toilet-flushing process.
- Shower and laundry facilities are currently closed.
- Bacot and Sanderson residents can pick up five bottles of drinking water in the S.A.I.L. Center near the student life front desk today until 2:00 p.m. South Side residents may pick up drinking water from the New South Atrium today until 2:00 p.m. Please bring a backpack to assist in carrying water back to your residence hall room.
- The college cafeteria will be open today (Wednesday, February 17) until 2 p.m. and will re-open for dinner this evening from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Students will be required to take their meal out of the cafeteria and back to their residence hall rooms as the cafeteria is currently operating with limited staff.
- The cafeteria will be open both Thursday, February 18 and Friday, February 19 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. for breakfast; 10 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for lunch; and 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for dinner. Students will be required to take their food out of the cafeteria for consumption.
- Need essentials like toothpaste, soap or snacks? Return the request for essentials online form before 4:00 p.m. today, February 17, 2021. Items can be picked up from the student life front desk one hour after the request is made.
- Wesson Health Center staff are working remotely. Call 601-974-1207 if you need assistance and leave a message with your callback number or email the college nurse at email@example.com.
- Please be reminded that power outages and tree damage are possible due to ice and gusty winds. Please conserve heat as much as possible by keeping doors closed and your heating unit fan on. Take extreme care when traversing campus and only venture outdoors when absolutely necessary. Keep all electronic devices charged and locate flashlights, blankets and other warm clothes. As a reminder, candles are not permitted.
- All classes, including evening classes, will be held remotely both Thursday and Friday, February 18 and 19. Please communicate directly with your students regarding virtual class details.
- Only essential staff are required to report to campus tomorrow, Thursday, February 18. Essential staff are asked to exercise caution when traveling and to contact supervisors with questions regarding on-campus operations.
- All other staff are required to work remotely on Thursday, February 18.
The college’s emergency management team will continue to monitor the situation and will update the community as details develop. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. In case of an emergency, call Campus Safety at 601-974-1234.