Millsaps College’s athletic department comprises eighteen varsity sports with 380 student-athletes competing within the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) conference and participating in NCAA division III athletics. Millsaps’ sports medicine department has maintained a strong presence in the Jackson, Mississippi, medical community for over 20 years through the development of partnerships with the University of Mississippi Medical Center’s primary care sports medicine fellowship and sports physical therapy residency; and its long-standing partnership with Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Clinic.
It is the responsibility of the Director of Sports Medicine for the development, planning, strategic direction, and overall accountability for the sports medicine department within Millsaps College’s athletic department. While maintaining direct oversight of staff members while creating a positive and dynamic team to interface/communicate with coaches and student-athletes.
This is a 12-month salaried-exempt position with full benefits and primary sports responsibility of football. Work hours include weekdays, weekends, and evenings. Travel with football is required.
- Graduate of a NATA-BOC accredited program.
- Minimum of a bachelor degree.
- Preference given to a master degree.
- State of Mississippi athletic training license.
- BLS certified.
- Minimum of 3 years of athletic training experience.
- Football preferred.
- Responsible for hiring and assigning sports coverage of staff athletic trainers and assistant athletic trainer interns.
- Work daily with medical personnel who provide medical care and treatment of athletic related injuries, including but not limited to: Team orthopedist, orthopedic fellows, primary care sports medicine fellows, and sports medicine physical therapy resident.
- Design and implement rehabilitation programs for injured student-athletes.
- Provide first aid and emergency care at team practices and games.
- Maintain oversight of injury reports, treatments, medical clearances, and sports medicine protocols.
- Manage SportsWare Online.
- Manage secondary accident insurance program.
- Participate in policy-making decisions relative to sports medicine.
- Maintain contact with student-athletes and solicits feedback to improve services.
- Oversee medical hardship process and required documentation.
- Schedule student workers while monitoring their payroll.
- Manage biannual inventory count.
- Manage all purchasing card transactions and maintain the sports medicine credit card log.
- Manage access and keys to sports medicine locks and cabinets.
- Other duties as assigned.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Interested persons should apply electronically, via email, to the director of sports medicine search committee, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with complete contact information. The review of applications will take place immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is June 1, 2020.