Reporting to the Director of Admission, the Admission Counselor represents Millsaps College to prospective students and organizations and works to increase inquiries and convert applications into enrolled students. The successful admission counselor exhibits superior customer service skills and professionalism throughout daily interactions and communications with students including interviews, phone calls, emails and information sessions. The counselor creates and implements recruitment strategies to reach prospective students through events, referrals, online and print communications, and outreaches to schools and organizations. The admission counselor must demonstrate an ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with team members, faculty, students, alumni, administrators and staff. A flexible work schedule that will include days, evenings, and some weekends is required. Travel, valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
- Create an individual recruitment plan (using suggested recruitment template) for each semester as well as participate in the creation of a team recruitment plan. The plan includes recruitment activities, participation in events/conferences/fairs, communications with prospective students and networking opportunities.
- Create a weekly report outlining productivity of travel and outreach to prospective students from recruitment territory.
- Ability to work on a registration deadline, strive towards individual and college-wide enrollment goals and use outstanding customer service to recruit students to the College’s programs.
- Develop and update a database of teachers, administrators, and contact people with whom workshops and information sessions can be booked. Network with new contacts to help increase inquiry production.
- Utilize phone, email, and mail to communicate with prospective students in a timely manner, providing superior student service.
- Work with prospective students to garner completed application files prior to enrollment.
- Become familiar with working territory and demographics of cities/towns in that area to best reach the student population for Millsaps College.
- Collaborate with our growing alumni network to develop new student/professional networks and garner student referrals. Alumni are to be utilized with information sessions, outreaches, phoning etc.
- Attend training sessions to receive updated information about new programs and services. Under the direction of the Director, participate in the events prior, during, and after each term such as information sessions, orientations, registration events and graduation.
- Ability to work independently, and to arrange information sessions, set appointments and promote the College in a positive manner.
- Ability to follow the expectation of treating fellow employees, students and the institution’s guests with civility, and to refrain from activities that disrupt the efficient functioning of the college.
- Ability to follow directions and complete tasks accurately as well as accept supervisory input and constructive criticism.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required
Skills and Knowledge Required
Recruiting, management, sales, and/or knowledge of higher education required; Must be able to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills; Well-developed presentation skills are required; Goal oriented and intrinsically motivated with superior customer service and networking skills; Facility with MS Office Suite , social media and marketing via the e Internet as a tool; Ability to manage student files and rosters via the Jenzabar system is preferred; Ability to build relationships with students and determine the correct program fit for students’ career and personal goals and follow them through the enrollment process; Experience working with adult population preferred; Professional attire and personal presentation required daily.
Physical Effort Required
The candidate is required to be mobile and occasionally lift and/or move to 40-50 pounds.
Applicants should submit a current resume, a letter of interest and three references who may be contacted about the candidate’s experience and past performance. Review of applications will begin on February 1 and continue until the position is filled. Materials should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Admission Counselor” in the subject line of the email.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.