The Associate Director for Residence Life and Community Standards is a live-on position that works to create and maintain a quality and satisfying experience for students who reside on campus. This position is responsible for coordinating the residential student experience at Millsaps College including the supervision of the resident assistant staff and coordinating the housing assignments process. The Associate Director will also oversee all student community standards and the student conduct process. Student Life at Millsaps College focuses on student success through implementing innovative programs and services that promote co-curricular engagement and student success. The successful candidate will be highly collaborative but will also have the skills needed to make decisions independently; has skills in assessment and evaluation; understands college student development; and will help to advance develop and maintain a dynamic campus experience for a diverse student population.
- Select, train, supervise, develop, recognize, and evaluate Resident Assistants.
- Facilitates programming for the residential community with Resident Assistants and collaborates with faculty and staff to enhance residential student engagement
- Facilitate weekly meetings of the RA staff.
- Coordinate the scheduling and training of RAs in their role working in the Student Life office.
- Manage the housing selection process for first-year and returning students.
- Maintain the Residence Life Staff and Operations manual which includes information on the housing assignment process, meal plan management and resident assistant training.
- Coordinate with the Student Life Office Manager on the following:
- Utilizing Colleague/Datatel to manage assignments, billing, and meal plan management processes.
- Manage the damage assessment, billing, communication, and inquiries all on-campus residences and residential common areas.
- Production of monthly occupancy reports.
- Intersession housing assignments and billing.
- Management of residence hall access including keys and building codes.
- Coordinate move-in/out processes for on-campus residents including those residing in fraternity houses.
- Coordinate health and safety inspections for all on-campus residents including fraternity house inspections.
Student Conduct & Accountability
- Develops, facilitates, and leads practices and procedures related to student conduct concerns based on industry best practices and in compliance with all relevant national, state, and local laws and University regulations.
- Reviews student conduct incident reports for accuracy and clarification
- Maintains confidentiality of information related to student conduct concerns and exercises discretion to provide timely information and necessary updates across relevant stakeholders.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, interviews, appointments, and/or other similar activities with students; ensures students are aware of rights and responsibilities.
- Establishes, maintains, and processes detailed records for adjudicated cases and other communications timely and accurately.
- Implements and/or coordinates educational sanctions assigned to students, including scheduling.
- Develops policy related to student conduct and accountability practices and procedures
- Coordinates the maintenance of confidential records and administrative processes and procedures; acts as point of contact and reference; generates and distributes appropriate reports.
- Maintains current knowledge of and implements changes based on university policies and procedures, laws, and best practices related to field. Participates in professional development activities as appropriate.
Emergency Coordination and Response
- Supervises the campus emergency on-call system, including serving as a Student Life On Call Emergency Manager
- Responsible for training and scheduling the professionals who serve in the on-call rotation on applicable policies and procedures
- Maintain and enhance on-call resources including training materials
Related Student Life Responsibilities
- May serve as advisor to student organizations as needed
- Supports Student Life programming as needed
- Serves on the CARE Team and Title IX Team
- Develop and execute assessment plans for residence life and student conduct areas
- Serve as a visible and accessible resource for students
- Maintains knowledge and education in areas of diversity, inclusion, equity access and belonging
- Effectively uses Colleague/Datatel, Microsoft Office and other software to perform administrative functions of the position
- Ability to work during evenings and weekends
- Promote an environment that supports the academic mission of the College and the mission of Student Life
- Attends and participates in campus meetings necessary for the successful completion of job responsibilities
- Under the Clery Act, Student Life professional staff are considered Campus Security Authorities and as such are required by law to report crimes to the on-call system and to Millsaps Campus Safety immediately upon learning of them
- Under Title IX, Millsaps staff are responsible employees and must report all college-related incidents of sexual harassment and assault to the Title IX Coordinator.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the mission of the College and Student Life
- This position is required to live on campus and serve as part of the on-call team. Candidates must be willing and able to fulfill these job duties.
- Master’s degree, preferably in Higher Education Administration, College Student Affairs, Guidance and Counseling or a related field
- At least 2 years of graduate or professional experience in residence life student /student development work
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, creative problem-solver who takes initiative
- Able to work in team environments and individually
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Physical Requirements & Availability
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Manual dexterity needed for keyboarding and other repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift and move up to 15 pounds without assistance.
Interested candidates should email a copy of their resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Millsaps College is a selective institution of higher education located on 100 beautiful acres in the heart of Jackson, the capital of Mississippi — a progressive southern metropolitan city of nearly half a million. Millsaps is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of the region. The college was founded in 1890 by members of the Methodist Church and is consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education.
Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 750 students and employs 80 full-time faculty members. The faculty/student ratio at Millsaps is 1:9, and the average class size is 14. Millsaps has graduated 25 Fulbright Award recipients, seven Rhodes Scholars, six Goldwater Scholars and two Truman Scholars. Millsaps is a member of the NCAA Division III and Southern Athletic Association and competes in 18 intercollegiate sports.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and verification of employment. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
For additional information about Millsaps College please visit Millsaps.edu