The Assistant Director of Residence Life is a responsible for coordinating a high-quality residential student experience at Millsaps College including the supervision of the resident assistant staff and coordinating the housing assignments process. The Assistant Director will also serve as a hearing officer and support the conduct process. Student Life at Millsaps College focuses on student success through implementing innovative programs and services that promote co-curricular engagement. The successful candidate will be highly collaborative and maintain a dynamic campus experience for a diverse student population.
- Select, train, supervise, develop, recognize, and evaluate Resident Assistants.
- Facilitates programming for the residential community with Resident Assistants and collaborates with faculty and staff to enhance residential student engagement
- Facilitate weekly meetings of the RA staff.
- Coordinate the scheduling and training of RAs in their role working in the Student Life office.
- Manage the housing selection process for first-year and returning students.
- Coordinate with the Student Life Office Manager on the following:
- Manage the occupancy, damage assessment, billing, communication, and inquiries for all on-campus residences and residential common areas.
- Management of residence hall access including keys and building codes.
- Coordinate move-in/out processes for on-campus residents including those residing in fraternity houses.
- Coordinate health and safety inspections for all on-campus residents including fraternity house inspections.
- Serves as a hearing officer and supports the student conduct process
- Serves as manager of the emergency on-call staff program
- Assists with additional student life programs, initiatives and committees
- This position is required to serve as part of the on-call team. Candidates must be willing and able to fulfill these job duties.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Preferred Master’s degree Higher Education Administration, College Student Affairs, Guidance and Counseling or a related field
- At least 2 years of experience in residence life /student development work
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, creative problem-solver who takes initiative
- Able to work in team environments and individually
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Physical Requirements & Availability
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Manual dexterity needed for keyboarding and other repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift and move up to 15 pounds without assistance.
Interested candidates should email a copy of their resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Millsaps College is a selective institution of higher education located on 100 beautiful acres in the heart of Jackson, the capital of Mississippi — a progressive southern metropolitan city of nearly half a million. Millsaps is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of the region. The college was founded in 1890 by members of the Methodist Church and is consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education.
Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 750 students and employs 80 full-time faculty members. The faculty/student ratio at Millsaps is 1:9, and the average class size is 14. Millsaps has graduated 25 Fulbright Award recipients, seven Rhodes Scholars, six Goldwater Scholars and two Truman Scholars. Millsaps is a member of the NCAA Division III and Southern Athletic Association and competes in 18 intercollegiate sports.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and verification of employment. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about Millsaps College please visit Millsaps.edu