This position is responsible for protecting individuals, property and maintaining the security of campus buildings, facilities, parking lots, walkways, and grounds of the College.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Act as first responder to all campus emergencies, medical and criminal, that could potentially be hazardous and/or life threatening.
- Enforce campus policies, regulations and procedures.
- Assist Residence and Student Life with enforcement of regulations and Code of Conduct violations.
- Make regular inspections of the campus facilities during shift, noting unusual occurrences.
- Observe and report trespassers, fire, water leaks, or other hazardous conditions to supervisors/command staff/management which could lead to loss or damage to property and equipment.
- Unlock buildings as scheduled for events and ensure all windows and doors are locked as scheduled.
- Patrol assigned area.
- Handle all dispatch duties, including radio communications and monitoring traffic entering/exiting campus, emergency phone lines and surveillance cameras.
- Ensure only authorized persons are admitted to the campus while on duty.
- Enforce campus traffic regulations including parking and speeding.
- Observe weather conditions on campus and report dangerous or unusual weather-related activity to supervisors/command staff/management.
- Complete investigations of College violations, including viewing camera footage, talking with witnesses, and writing incident/accident reports.
- Act as a liaison for the College with local law enforcement.
- Provide awareness education/information on an informal basis to students and employees during other duties.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Current policies, procedures, and strategies of public safety and security.
- Customer service.
- Computer software used within department to include but not limited to Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and members of the public.
- Composing and writing reports, forms, and memos.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
Physical and Availability Requirements
- Responsible for being on-call, working odd shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Work independently.
- Significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting.
- Must be able to lift, push, or pull up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Must regularly stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must always be accessible for phone communication.
- Mentally analyze a situation, solve problems, and make decisions under pressure.
- Read and understand written instruction.
- Communicate information, both verbal and written, in a clear and concise manner.
- Valid state driver’s license.
This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.