The Career Specialist supports student growth and career development as a part of the total education experience. This position is focused on building relationships with students, employers and alumni and guiding students through the career development process. The incumbent will demonstrate, a desire to participate in a team setting, and cultural competency in working effectively with a diverse group of students and staff in a liberal arts setting.
This position reports to the Director of the Center for Career Education.
This position works on-site in Jackson, MS. Regular work hours are from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Serves as Center for Career Education Liaison to students, employers, and alumni under assigned area/division.
- Provides personalized, comprehensive and exemplary career coaching experience with the goal of ensuring every student is “career ready” while navigating the job search through innovative career programs and career exploration techniques.
- Conducts career workshops and programs that are designed to assist students with writing resumes, interviewing, preparing for a job search, professional decision-making, salary negotiations, and other professional development areas.
- Collaborates with College partners in strategic planning/alignment to deliver innovative and customized career-related events, programs, and other market readiness and employment resources to prepare students.
- Engages and builds relationships with external markets including employers, alumni, and industry professionals to hire and mentor students as well as assess and implement coaching best practices: coordinate networking events, on-campus interviews, and information sessions.
- Maintains a high knowledge rate of student caseload, monitors and tracks all student activity ensuring consistent and comprehensive reporting for all stakeholders: semester reports.
- Assists in the maintenance of the career services management system, Symplicity, and supports registrants (employers, students, and alumni) in utilizing the system.
- Develops and coordinates events (career fairs, mock interview programs, networking socials, panels) for employer representatives, recruiters, students, and alumni in support of Center for Career Education programming.
- Administers internship programs, including but not limited to student advisement, the registration process, distribution and collection of appropriate documentation, evaluation of the written component and intern performance, budgeting, programming, student selection, assessment and reporting.
- Compiles and contributes program content for teaching and facilitating career development course(s), such as the Internship for Credit course and other courses, as necessary/desired.
- Assists Director in ongoing strategic planning for the Center for Career Education.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of the Center for Career Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Psychology, Education, or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years in career services, corporate recruitment, or human resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong abilities in public speaking
- Focus on collaboration with the ability to influence and communicate with faculty, staff, outside departments and external constituents across all programs and the Millsaps College community.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, creative problem-solver who takes initiative.
- Ability to initiate and follow through to completion special projects and/or assignments taking an idea from conception to implementation.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to allow for effective multitasking and success with planning and coordinating events
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and adapt to varying technological environments.
- Training and experience administering and interpreting career assessments and inventories preferred
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Manual dexterity needed for keyboarding and other repetitive tasks
- Must be able to lift and move up to 25 pounds without assistance
Interested candidates should email a copy of their resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Millsaps College is a selective institution of higher education located on 100 beautiful acres in the heart of Jackson, the capital of Mississippi — a progressive southern metropolitan city of nearly half a million. Millsaps is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of the region. The college was founded in 1890 by members of the Methodist Church and is consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education.
Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 750 students and employs 80 full-time faculty members. The faculty/student ratio at Millsaps is 1:9, and the average class size is 14. Millsaps has graduated 25 Fulbright Award recipients, seven Rhodes Scholars, six Goldwater Scholars and two Truman Scholars. Millsaps is a member of the NCAA Division III and Southern Athletic Association and competes in 18 intercollegiate sports.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and verification of employment. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
For additional information about Millsaps College please visit Millsaps.edu