The Director of Annual Giving reports to the Executive Director of Development. This individual is responsible for the strategic execution and management of a comprehensive annual giving program designed to increase unrestricted gifts, serve as a foundation for major and planned gifts, support the overall development and campaign goals of the College, and ensure that Millsaps remains competitive among peers as measured externally by dollars raised and percentage participation. This position is full-time equivalent with evening and weekend requirements.
- Establish goals for all programs within the Annual Giving Campaign and build strategic and tactical plans for achieving those goals.
- Plan and implement Campaign for Annual Leadership Gifts ($1,000 – $25,000) consisting of direct mail, phone, and face-to-face solicitation by staff and volunteers.
- Manage a portfolio of alumni, parent, and friend Presidents Society donors / prospects ($1,000+).
- Develop coordinated Annual Fund solicitation and stewardship strategies and materials involving direct mail, email, telephone contacts, personal visits, social media communication, and volunteer engagement – all focused on establishing a sustainable tradition of annual support.
- Work effectively with the Associate Vice President for Advancement Operations (AVP) to develop a strategic communications and stewardship plan for the Annual Fund.
- Work effectively with AVP and Manager of Development Information Systems (MDIS) to create a marketing segmentation plan for soliciting donors/prospects as well as systemizing benchmarking and data analysis reports.
- Work effectively with Major Gift Officers to build strategies for securing leadership annual fund gifts and moving annual fund donors to higher levels.
- Work effectively with the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations to recruit class agents, implement reunion year solicitation plans, and increase alumni participation through Presidents Society stewardship events.
- Create, develop, and sustain an effective volunteer component within the annual giving program including, but not limited to, reunion year giving, class agents, senior class gifts, and social media ambassadors.
- Direct and supervise the Annual Fund yearly budget.
- Assist with Institutional Advancement and campus wide events as necessary.
- Other duties assigned by the Executive Director of Development.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven experience in face-to-face gift solicitations with track record of success.
- Goal-oriented with ability to provide direction, supervision, and motivation to staff and volunteers.
- Strong oral / written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with a demonstrated record of completing projects and meeting deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Strong decision-making skills, ability to work with confidential information; tact and discretion are essential.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years successful experience in fundraising or related fields, preferably annual giving programs
Resume, cover letter, and references should be emailed to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.