The Head Men’s and Women’s Golf Coach reports directly to the Director of Athletics and is responsible for oversight/administration of all aspects of the Men’s and Women’s Golf program. This includes recruiting quality student-athletes, organizing and planning practice sessions and competitions, scouting, coaching, scheduling, budgeting and planning team travel in compliance with Millsaps College, the Southern Athletic Association, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the sport and the ability to teach/coach collegiate student-athletes toward acquisition of those skills;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruiting plan for the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes. Knowledge of recruiting practices and an ability to identify athletic and academic talent adhering to NCAA Division III guidelines;
- Coordinate videotape/information exchanges with conference & non-conference opponents;
- Monitor academic progress by student athletes involving grade reports, study skill development, and counseling;
- Coordinate team travel and logistics, including vehicles, lodging, and meals;
- Coordinate scouting opponents;
- Coordinate fund-raising programs to augment operations budget;
- Develop and maintain parent and alumnae relationships and communication;
- Accept additional duties assigned by the Athletics Director.
- Comply with all NCAA Division III, Southern Athletics Association (SAA), and Millsaps College guidelines;
- Comprehend and demonstrate the NCAA Division III philosophy emphasizing the overall student experience, academics, and athletics;
- Partner with the Director of Athletics to find new and exciting ways to energize the scholastics-sports environment at Millsaps College;
- Accept game-day administrator obligations each semester, if necessary;
- Organize community service activities for team members and coaches;
- Participate in various other areas of interest for the College, Student Life, and Athletics.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
- College varsity coaching experience or related experience preferred
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and travel overnight.
- Communication/Language: Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Computer Skills: Frontrush, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Google Apps…
- Certificates & Licenses: A valid US driver’s license is required. Certification in first aid, CPR and AED must be current at all times.
- Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of background screening.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commitment to and history of strong belief in mentoring students and demonstrated experience working with young adults.
- Desire to work in a small-college environment devoted to providing liberal arts education, building community, and helping students prepare for their future career
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Requires some travel.
- Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and references in email format to:
Director of Athletics
Millsaps College Athletics
1701 North State Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39210