The Head Men’s and Women’s Golf Coach reports directly to the Director of Athletics and is responsible for oversight/administration of all aspects of the Men’s and Women’s Golf program. This includes recruiting quality student-athletes, organizing and planning practice sessions and competitions, scouting, coaching, scheduling, budgeting and planning team travel in compliance with Millsaps College, the Southern Athletic Association, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the sport and the ability to teach/coach collegiate student-athletes toward acquisition of those skills;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruiting plan for the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes. Knowledge of recruiting practices and an ability to identify athletic and academic talent adhering to NCAA Division III guidelines;
- Coordinate videotape/information exchanges with conference & non-conference opponents;
- Monitor academic progress by student athletes involving grade reports, study skill development, and counseling;
- Coordinate team travel and logistics, including vehicles, lodging, and meals;
- Coordinate scouting opponents;
- Coordinate fund-raising programs to augment operations budget;
- Develop and maintain parent and alumnae relationships and communication;
- Accept additional duties assigned by the Athletics Director.
- Comply with all NCAA Division III, Southern Athletics Association (SAA), and Millsaps College guidelines;
- Comprehend and demonstrate the NCAA Division III philosophy emphasizing the overall student experience, academics, and athletics;
- Partner with the Director of Athletics to find new and exciting ways to energize the scholastics-sports environment at Millsaps College;
- Accept game-day administrator obligations each semester, if necessary;
- Organize community service activities for team members and coaches;
- Participate in various other areas of interest for the College, Student Life, and Athletics.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
- College varsity coaching experience or related experience preferred
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and travel overnight.
- Communication/Language: Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Computer Skills: Frontrush, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Google Apps…
- Certificates & Licenses: A valid US driver’s license is required. Certification in first aid, CPR and AED must be current at all times.
- Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of background screening.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commitment to and history of strong belief in mentoring students and demonstrated experience working with young adults.
- Desire to work in a small-college environment devoted to providing liberal arts education, building community, and helping students prepare for their future career
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Requires some travel.
- Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and references in email format to:
Director of Athletics
Millsaps College Athletics
1701 North State Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39210
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.