The Maintenance Technician (with an emphasis on HVAC) reports to the Assistant Director of Facilities Management and is responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks in the following areas; general maintenance, HVAC and electrical.
- Maintain and perform preventative maintenance on controls and related equipment; adjust and calibrate equipment when necessary.
- Install and replace all types of pumps or refrigeration equipment, pneumatic valves, electric valves, heat transfer equipment, ventilation, and air distribution equipment according to prints, specifications, diagrams, or other instructions.
- Diagnoses, repairs, and maintains existing HVAC systems including chilling and heating systems and checks chemical treatments.
- Respond to complaints regarding HVAC equipment and adjust or repair where necessary.
- Perform all repairs on pumps, compressors, and related equipment.
- Perform minor electrical and pipefitting repairs to HVAC systems.
- Troubleshoots fire alarm systems; maintains and repairs computer automated control systems.
- Coordinates projects with outside contractors.
- Orders and secures materials for jobs as needed.
- Perform minor repairs and /or replacement of electrical fixtures, devices, and appliances as required.
- Observe and report, through the work order system, any and all defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on the facilities.
- Assist in coordination of major repairs.
- Communicate, as directed, with key administrative and staff personnel on special events and functions scheduled for the campus that may require special furnishing arrangements and other services that may be required.
- Assist as required and cooperate with all tradespeople in the performance of day to day duties and responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director.
- High School diploma or GED
- HVAC Certification
- Three to five years’ experience in the care and maintenance of similar facilities; or any combination of education, training, or experience which fulfills the requirements of the position and needs of the College.
- Ability to plan, organize, control, and direct all aspects of required corrective and preventative maintenance for the campus.
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Facilities Management and work with skilled and unskilled personnel and administrators.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills.
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing missions of the College.
- Must be willing to be on-call in rotation with other shop personnel.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Mississippi Driver’s License.
- Ability to lift, push, and/or pull minimum 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder
- Must be able to bend at waist, sit, kneel, lie horizontally, climb, walk, and reach as job may require.
Interested applicants should email a current resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com. Please write “Maintenance Technician – HVAC” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Please provide three references who may be contacted about your experience and past performance as part of the application process.
Millsaps College is a selective institution of higher education located on 100 beautiful acres in the heart of Jackson, the capital of Mississippi — a progressive southern metropolitan city of nearly half a million. Millsaps is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of the region. The college was founded in 1890 by members of the Methodist Church and is consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education.
Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 750 students and employs 80 full-time faculty members. The faculty/student ratio at Millsaps is 1:9, and the average class size is 14. Millsaps has graduated 25 Fulbright Award recipients, seven Rhodes Scholars, six Goldwater Scholars and two Truman Scholars. Millsaps is a member of the NCAA Division III and Southern Athletic Association and competes in 18 intercollegiate sports.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and verification of employment. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about Millsaps College please visit Millsaps.edu