Reporting to Millsaps College’s Director of Communications and Community Engagement, the Manager of Conference Services and Marketing Operations (“Manager”) in the Office of Marketing and Communications develops and maintains a plan for marketing and promoting conference and event space and services that increase net revenue for the college and promotes Millsaps’ brand and reputation to the local community. The Manager is responsible for analyzing facility requests and determining appropriate use and applicable fees for facilities and services, advising on-campus and off-campus groups of available resources and assessing, communicating and collecting charges for all conferences, camps and groups. The position also provides additional administrative support to the Office of Marketing and Communications with regard to project management and budgetary support.
- Develop, maintain and administer a marketing and promotion plan ensuring adequate promotion of Millsaps’ facilities in meeting budgeted revenue targets.
- Manage the conference and events portfolio in a way that maximizes value for the college, balances competing needs, avoids conflict and meets the expectations of a diverse clientele for the success production of events that showcase the campus and enhance a consistently positive image of Millsaps College.
- Manage conferences, events and facility rentals.
- Respond to requests for information, coordinate site visits and negotiate rental contracts, ensuring clients are following college policies and local/state/federal laws.
- In consultation with the Vice President for Finance and Administration, configure rates and pricing structure for rentals and services.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for use of college event services and facilities, including developing and using tools that will help streamline processes.
- Advise groups and organizations using college facilities of building and event policies and procedures, restrictions, related laws and government regulations, safety and liability issues and insurance requirements.
- Work collaboratively with clients, colleagues and vendors to manage and execute all event logistics and to ensure that college standards are met.
- Ensure proper set up requirements as described in reservation request (EMS). Determine if audio/visual equipment is needed and arrange for audio/visual technician if applicable.
- Maintain the events reservations and services worksheet. Distribute, review and discuss the worksheet as necessary with facilities management, custodial services, campus safety, grounds department and dining services to coordinate proper and timely delivery of services.
- Send facility usage application/quote/contract to off-campus groups requesting use of our facilities and send confirmation of facility availability when all requirements have been met. Issue invoices for facility usage and monitor appropriate payment of fees and deposit payments for facility usage to the appropriate account.
- Process internal administrative duties related to conferences and events, including budgetary needs and maintaining reservation, event and insurance records in an organized fashion.
- Oversee budget management for the Office of Marketing and Communications, including but not limited to preparation of invoices, tracking of P-card purchases and production and submission of monthly budget reports.
- Support the Office of Marketing and Communications through project management, including but not limited to working with clients to ensure all project information is included in the Slack management system, coordinating with vendors on quotes for printed materials, tracking timelines to ensure completion of work as scheduled and coordinating approval processes.
- As budget allows and with approval, hire, supervise, schedule and evaluate student staff.
- Identify and recommend equipment and facility maintenance, repair, inventory and purchase.
- In consultation with the Vice President for Marketing and Communications and other administrators, review, develop and implement risk management plans.
- Work with a team approach, assisting in all required areas within the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Cultivate collaborative working relationships and a positive rapport with the diverse constituencies across the Millsaps community, including facilities management personnel, students, faculty and staff.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Strong attention to detail and process; strong project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proven relationship and people management skills, strong work ethic, team-oriented, collaborative attitude, enthusiastic about contributing to the success of Millsaps.
- Organized and driven professional, able to self-motivate and innovate.
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Able to work event nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Willing to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Able to communicate clear and concise directions.
- Able to work under pressure and adjust at the last moment.
- Able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must have a valid state-issued driver’s license.
- Must be able to traverse college campus and climb stairs.
- Occasional stooping, bending, lifting and reaching are required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least two years’ experience in event/conference management and planning.
Screening of qualified candidates will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Email letter of interest and resume’ to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Conference Services application”.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.