Reporting directly to the vice president of marketing and communications, the writer/editor has primary responsibility to creating and writing engaging content that tell the stories of the college and advance the college’s mission. The writer/editor is a full-time, exempt position. Depending on activities and special events, evening and weekend hours will be required at times; otherwise, the normal work schedule is 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Hours of work performance are approximately 40 hours/week.
- Transcribe and formulate content that creatively and accurately tells the Millsaps story and supports the college’s mission in measurable and creative ways.
- Serve as primary writer for all college print and digital publications.
- Write speeches for members of the college’s senior administration as needed.
- Proactively engage with faculty, staff and students to unearth and identify storytelling opportunities. Contact and interview members of the Millsaps community, both on and off campus, to collect content, information and ideas.
- Serve as associate editor of Millsaps Magazine, including mapping editorial outlines, facilitating opportunities for interviews, working with photographers to tell the Millsaps story through corresponding photographs, handling edits and approvals and working with the printer on production timeline and drop date.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Enhance and edit all copy provided to the department for review from other administrative areas and external vendors.
- Ensure writing is thoroughly and accurately edited to eliminate errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax.
- Collaborate with other OMC staff to support the college’s marketing objectives in various formats, including print and digital, for all college audiences.
- Participate and serve on assigned, elected or appointed committees or service roles across the Millsaps community.
- Stay abreast of current developments and trends for continued professional development.
- Perform other duties or related tasks as assigned. Self-motivated, innovative and creative with an eye for detail and an emphasis on quality work.
- S/he/they will have excellent copywriting skills, and be proficient in APS (Associated Press Style) and all MS office programs.
- This role requires an aptitude to work under pressure and adherence to tight and established deadlines. The job requires the incumbent to work both independently as well as on diverse and dynamic teams. The need to learn quickly and thrive in a collaborative setting are a must for success in this role.
- A bachelor degree or certification in a related field (public relations, mass communications, journalism) or equivalent.
- Minimal three years professional experience writing and editing content is required for appointment.
Screening of qualified candidates will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Email letter of interest, resumé and links to three published writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “writer/editor application.” Qualified applicants will be subject to a writing and editing screening exercise in addition to an interview process.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.