The College Nurse position responsibilities are both clinical and administrative. The College Nurse supervises the Wesson Health Center which provides confidential (HIPPA protected) health care for the assessment, evaluation, maintenance, and improvement of the health of students at Millsaps College. This individual provides health care services to eligible students within standard registered nurse (RN) scope of practice and clinically supports medical doctors who treat students on campus. Administrative responsibilities include management of student health requirements including data entry, inventory management, and quality assurance activities. Occasional group health and wellness education programs and presentations are included in the responsibilities of this position. This is a part time position (25 hours a week; 9 months) that reports to the Dean of Students.
Student Life at Millsaps College focuses on student success through implementing innovative programs and services that promote co-curricular engagement and student personal and academic success. The successful candidate will be highly collaborative but will also have the skills needed to make decisions independently; has skills in assessment and evaluation; understands college student development; will bring new ideas to our units; and help advance our goals to enhance the student experience at Millsaps.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Basic Health Care and Clinic Management
- Provide health care services for students
- Perform initial nursing assessment and office-based testing when indicated.
- Provide inoculations and injections as needed.
- Document medical history and physical assessment findings on office forms or within computerized version thereof in a timely manner.
- Dispense treatments and over-the-counter medications within RN scope of practice.
- Support medical doctor in treatment of students including setting up patient need.
- Provide some basic health care for faculty and staff which includes blood pressure management, flu shots, and weight management.
- Conduct follow-up telephone calls to students and call-in prescriptions to pharmacies as required by MD.
- Refer students for off-campus medical treatment as needed.
- Administer and read PPD (TB skin tests).
- Responsible for the operating budget for the health center which covers inventory, flu shots, software agreements, and contracted services with the University Medical Center.
- Order supplies for the Wesson Health Center.
- Coordinate health education programming on campus.
- Distribute educational and preventative health information to students.
Vaccine and Health Requirements
- Maintain and regularly monitor expiration of vaccine, medication and supply inventory.
- Review new student records for fulfillment of detailed vaccine and health requirements according to college standards.
- Fulfill all facets of health record management including data entry into applicable database/software program.
- Communicate clearly with students in writing, including e-mail, telephone and in person about record completion.
- Respond to inquiries and complete forms upon request of students and clinical coordinators.
- Contact student's medical provider when needed to resolve questions and concerns with requirement fulfillment.
- Effectively utilize Colleague/Datatel, Microsoft Office, and other software packages to perform administrative functions of the position.
- Attend and participate in campus meetings necessary for the successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Create and maintain a supportive work environment by contributing to the success of other offices within Student Life and other campus offices.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the mission of the college.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited college or university required.
- Valid RN license to practice professional nursing in the state of Mississippi.
- 1-3 years of professional nursing practice.
- School/college, public or occupational health experience preferred.
- Current CPR/AED certification.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
Knowledge and Skills
- Evidence of an effective leadership style, strong administrative proficiency, and excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrates necessary confidentiality practices and decision-making skills.
- Able to function independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities.
Applicants should submit a current resume, a letter of interest and three references who may be contacted about the candidate's experience and past performance. Materials should be submitted via email to Demitrius Brown, at email@example.com. Please write "College Nurse" in the subject line of the email.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.