The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly called Obamacare, is a federal law aimed to make health care more affordable, accessible and of a higher quality.

The individual shared responsibility provision of the law requires most people to have qualifying health coverage or pay a penalty unless you qualify for an exemption from this requirement.  Additional information regarding the requirements of PPACA can be found at www.healthcare.gov.

Domestic Students

Beginning Fall 2016, Millsaps College will no longer offer a student health insurance plan. Students currently enrolled in the plan can maintain their insurance coverage through August 19, 2016.

The College requires that domestic students comply with health insurance regulations as federally mandated by the PPACA as referenced above.

The following information is being provided to assist students in securing insurance plans and is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of available options.

  1. Stay on your parent’s insurance plan: Most people under age 26 can stay (or join or return to) their parent’s insurance.
  2. Enroll through the Health Insurance Marketplace (sometimes referred to as “the exchange”):  To enroll in the marketplace visit www.healthcare.gov.
  3. Employer provided coverage: If you have a job, you may be eligible for insurance through your workplace.
  4. Medicaid: Medicaid provides health coverage for eligible, low income populations in Mississippi.  These populations include children, low-income families, pregnant women, the aged and disabled.  Information regarding Medicaid can be obtained at www.medicaid.ms.gov.
  5. Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): CHIP provides health coverage for uninsured children up to age 19 years old. Information regarding CHIP can be found at www.medicaid.ms.gov.
  6. Purchase coverage from an independent vendor.

Student Athletes

Student athletes are required to have health insurance in order to participate in any intercollegiate sport. Please refer to the Athletic Department for additional information and the required insurance forms.

International Students

Millsaps requires all international students (F1 visa holders) to be enrolled in one of International Student Protection’s insurance plans:

Student accounts will be billed along with tuition and fees for International Student Protection’s premium rate and will receive an insurance card during orientation. These plans provide basic coverage. You should carefully consider your individual needs for healthcare coverage and can take an additional policy if appropriate. U.S. citizens abroad other visa categories must ensure they have sufficient health coverage.

Please note: If you are an international student who is also a U.S. Citizen, you are ineligible for the International Student Protection (ISP) plan but must still provide proof of health insurance coverage. Please provide proof of coverage to the International Student Advisor or the Millsaps Business Office either through a parents’ plan or separate individual policy.