Millsaps was founded in 1890 by the Methodist Church. The philanthropy of Major Reuben Webster Millsaps and other Methodist leaders in Mississippi enabled the College to open two years later on what was then the outskirts of Jackson. The beginnings were modest: two buildings, 149 students and five instructors.
More than a century later, Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 1,100 students and a faculty and staff of more than 300. The beautiful 100-acre campus is now located in the heart of downtown Jackson. Recognized by several national organizations, the College continues to offer a comprehensive liberal arts education to students from more than 27 states and 24 countries.
The Millsaps Founders' Tower was built in 1987 as a dedication to the College's founders and is a distinctive Millsaps landmark. The 122-foot-tall, copper-clad tower recognizes those whose generosity has helped sustain the College since its founding. The base of the tower, constructed of brick and cast stone, contains bronze reliefs that depict the founders-Major Millsaps, Bishop Charles Betts Galloway and Dr. William Belton Murrah. Inscribed in marble below the reliefs are the names of those individuals and organizations whose cumulative giving to Millsaps College totals $1,000,000 or more.