Medical, Dental, and other Health-related Career Programs at Millsaps
Pre-Med Fast Facts:
- Millsaps med school admission rates are double the national average.
- Millsaps graduates have enrolled in large numbers at the following medical schools:
- UMMC (the University of Mississippi Medical Center, just across the street from Millsaps in Jackson)
- Tulane University
- Emory University
- University of Alabama
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Texas
- Washington University in Saint Louis
- Millsaps graduates represent the largest group of medical students at UMMC, as a percentage of undergraduate population—4 times the representation of Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Mississippi College.
- Millsaps’ pre-med advisors and advisory board (alumni physicians from across the nation) work to help our students prepare for success in med school admission and in their medical careers
- Millsaps professors help place students in prestigious research and clinical internships with five partner hospitals located adjacent to our campus in Jackson, and around the country during summers
Millsaps College is delighted that you are interested in the many ways that we can prepare you for a satisfying, profitable career serving others.
News: Millsaps Receives $1.4 Million Grant for Premedical Education and Scientific Training
Why choose a health-related profession?
The medically related professions include many rapidly growing disciplines, which are appealing because of their numerous employment opportunities combined with challenging opportunities to help others. Particular opportunities lie amongst the elderly and low-income groups, and many underserved inner city and rural areas. Most of Mississippi, in fact, is underserved.
Why choose Millsaps?
- Millsaps' Medical Mentoring Program pairs current undergraduates with medical professionals, many of whom are Millsaps alumni, for a semester-long experience.
- Millsaps' rigorous curriculum prepares students for entry into these very competitive programs.
- Millsaps provides a Pre-Health Advisory Committee that guides the students through each year's responsibilities, sponsors seminars with key personnel from the health-related schools, provides mock interviews and more.
- Mentorships, Internships, and Fellowships are available and encouraged.
- The Pre-Health honorary, Alpha Epsilon Delta, sponsors programs with admissions officers and practitioners in these professions.
- Small class sizes provide close professor/student interactions.
- Millsaps faculty provide research opportunities ranging from drug separations and cancer research to polymers and nanotechnology.
- Millsaps students develop a strong camaraderie, extending beyond graduation resulting in a close-knit alumni network.
- Millsaps has been a prolific source of health providers through the years.
- Millsaps sends over 3 times the expected number of students to medical school each year with an overall rate of acceptance that is well above the national average.
What are the Health-Related fields?
We regularly place students in:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Veterinary medicine
- Medical technology
- Public health
- Graduate school
For more information on Pre-Health programs, contact us.