A A A print this page

Registration Information

Office of Records


  • Incoming Fall term freshman are assigned a "First Year Summer Advisor", and registration for classes occurs online with advising from an advisor on how to use Major Access. For any questions about this, see here. In addition to this assistance from the First Year Summer Advisor, incoming freshman may meet with Dr. Melissa Lea, Assistant Dean for Academic Advising and Support, and Ms. Elizabeth Giddens, Registrar, on the Sunday afternoon prior to the term's start date for additional questions. For Fall 2015, this date is Sunday, August 23rd from 5-7pm in the College Center.
  • Transfer students are assigned a "General Advisor" which is the Assistant Registrar, Mrs. Kathie Adams. Mrs. Adams assists students in registering for their first semester of classes on Major Access. Non-degree students are also assisted by Mrs. Adams; degree-seeking students have priority over class enrollment than non-degree students.
  • For continuing undergraduate students, students must meet with their advisor to determine the classes they should register for.
  • For new and continuing graduate students, students should contact Ms. Naomi Freeman, Director of Administration for the Graduate School, to determine the classes they should register for.


  • A couple of weeks prior to online registration, the next term's schedule will become available for viewing on Major Access under "Search Course Schedule." You can also view general education courses by term here. For Fall 2016, this date is March 30, 2016.
  • Students should review the schedule and begin to build their own course schedule by logging in to Major Access, and choosing their e-Registration Card. This is where students will select courses they think they would like to take, and "suggest" these courses to their advisor.
  • Students should then meet with their advisor to discuss their schedule, then select the classes they would like to register for on Major Access and click "email advisor" within the "action" button. The advisor will then approve the classes for live registration. It is recommended that students go ahead and get alternate courses approved by their advisor at this time, too.

Check out the e-Registration checklist for an overview of items that will be checked during your live registration on Major Access such as your program, date and time to register, petition check, overload approvals, and restrictions/holds. Holds can be from the over due library books, unpaid parking tickets, the business office, records office, or writing portfolio, etc. Be sure you do not have any holds on your account that will restrict your live registration.


Now that the pre-registration process has occurred and students have received advising, the live registration period can start. Students will get an email with their registration time to login to Major Access. Registration times are assigned by classification: graduate students and seniors register first, then juniors, then sophomores, and then freshman; students will not be asked to register during a time when they are in class. Students should follow directions for e-Registration of courses, and choose which particular section of a class they would like to join (if applicable). Students should be careful of what they choose because dropping a class is not allowed online. Online registration for Spring 2016 is November 9-12, 2015; while students are encouraged to register online as soon as their registration time opens up, online registration is available until the day before Spring 2016 starts, Sunday, January 10, 2016. Online registration for Fall 2016 is April 11-14, 2016; while students are encouraged to register online as soon as their registration time opens up, online registration is available until the day before Fall 2016 starts. Once done, click "schedule" to make sure everything went through.


At the beginning of each term, the first Monday and Tuesday of the first week, adding and dropping of courses takes place in person and on paper in the Office of Records. If a student never followed the online registration procedures listed above for any classes and waits until after this Tuesday to complete registration, they will be charged a $50 late fee for registering for classes outside of the normal registration period (for more information about the late fee, see the Business Office).


The last day to add and drop courses for a term is 8 days after the term's start. For Fall 2015, this date is September 2, 2015. For Spring 2016, this date is January 21, 2016. 

After the 8th day, students must withdraw from courses and will receive a "W" on their transcript. They must also pay a $25 schedule change fee for changes made after the 8th day (for more information about the schedule change fee, see the Business Office). There are also last dates to withdraw from courses. The last date to withdraw from any Fall 2015 course is November 4, 2015. The last date to withdraw from any Spring 2016 course is March 23, 2016.


Summer registration occurs in the Office of Records, not online via Major Access. The official process occurs in late April. For Summer 2016 it is April 18-20, 2016, however students can continue to register for courses until the term's start date. Students do not need to meet with their advisors to register for Summer term(s). Students will visit the Office of Records in Academic Complex room 142 for registration, and then go directly to the Business Office in Academic Complex room 144 for payment. Students should bring their college ID. For summer tuition prices, see the Business Office.


  • Are all classes eligible for online registration? Most classes are eligible for online registration, but some classes such as honors, independent study, research, and some music studio classes are not available for online registration. You are also unable to register for any class you wish to take credit/no credit or audit.
  • How do I register for classes that I can't register for online? Classes that you can't register for online will be registered for in the Office of Records with a paper registration form signed by your advisor and/or instructor. You will be able take the form to the Office of Records anytime after your registration time has started.


For any other questions about these procedures, please contact the Office of Records at 601-974-1120 or records@millsaps.edu. For questions about academic advising, contact your advisor first and contact Dr. Melissa Lea second.