A A A print this page


Office of Records

Policies of the Office of Records include:


Policies that are implemented by the Office of Records but live in the Millsaps College Catalog include:

Policy Title

Page where it can be found in 2014-2015 College Catalog

Pasted Policy directly from College Catalog AY 2014-2015

Leave of Absence Policy


Students may petition for a leave of absence for a future semester. A leave of absence cannot be granted in a semester in which any classes have been attended. Before requesting a leave of absence from the College, students must meet with the director of academic support services (undergraduate) or the assistant dean of the Else School of Management (M.B.A. or M.Acc.) to determine if a leave of absence is appropriate in their situation. A leave of absence allows students to sit out for a semester. A student may not be enrolled at another institution while on leave of absence from Millsaps.

Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and Credit by Examination Policy


Students entering Millsaps College may earn a waiver of certain requirements or college credit as a result of their performance on specific examinations. The amount of waiver or credit is limited to two courses in any discipline and 28 hours total. International students may also be eligible for advanced placement, depending upon the educational system completed (for example: IB, A-levels, Abiture, etc.).

Scores on the appropriate Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate examinations, CLEP subject matter examination, or CEEB achievement tests should be sent to the Office of Records for evaluation. An administrative fee will be assessed for each course so recorded. (See the section on special fees.)

A score of 4 or 5 is ordinarily required on an AP exam and a score of 5, 6, or 7 on a higher 13 level IB exam is required to receive academic credit. For information concerning scores necessary to attain credit for any AP examination, or for other exams such as IB or CLEP, students should consult with the coordinator of records or dean of the College. International students should contact the director of international recruitment with any questions about their advanced placement eligibility

(More details can be found at Advanced Placement Scores and International Baccalaureate and Cambridge Exams.)

Student Records/FERPA


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 guarantees Millsaps students the right to review, inspect, and challenge the accuracy of information kept in a cumulative file by the institution. It also ensures that records cannot be released without the written consent of the student. There are the following exceptions:

1. Records may be released to school officials, faculty, and faculty advisers who have a legitimate educational interest.

2. Records may be released when the information is classified as "directory information." The following categories of information have been designated by Millsaps College as directory information: name, email address, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, photograph, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational institution attended by the student, and information needed for honors and awards. Students who do not wish such information released without their consent should notify the Office of Records and the Office of Communications in writing prior to the end of the first day of classes.

3. Violations of drug and alcohol policies may be disclosed to parents of students who are under the age of 21.

4. Disciplinary proceedings of violent crimes or nonforcible sex offenses may be disclosed to the victims of the crime regardless of the outcome of the proceedings. They may also be disclosed if the accused was found to have violated the College's rules or policies.

5. Records may be released to a court if a parent or student has initiated legal action against the College or if the College has begun a legal action against a parent of a student.

6. Records may be released to the Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid if a student's legal residence is in the state.

If students would like their parents to have access to their records, they must give written consent in the Office of Records. This consent must be renewed at the beginning of each academic year.

Special Fees, as they relate to the Records Office (course overload fee, late fee, change of schedule fee, credit by examination fee, auditing of courses fee, and graduation fee)


Course overload fee—A fee of $100 per hour is charged for course loads above 17 hours.

Late fee—A $50 late fee will be charged for late scheduling of classes to be applied after the first day of classes each semester.

Change of schedule fee—A $25 fee will be charged for each change of schedule authorization processed. Any change initiated by the College will have no fee.

Credit by examination fee—A $25 fee is assessed to record each course for which credit is allowed if the credit is not transfer credit or if the examination is not a Millsaps examination.

Auditing of courses—Courses are audited with approval of the instructor of the course. Students must indicate their intention to audit at the time of registration. There will be no additional charge to a full-time degree-seeking student for auditing one course per term. All nondegree-seeking students may audit one course per term for one quarter of the cost of tuition and fees for that course.

Graduation fee—The $100 fee covers a portion of the cost of the diploma, the rental of a cap and gown, and general Commencement expenses.

Requirements for Degrees including CORE


See catalog.

Residency Requirement Policy


To qualify for graduation from Millsaps, 32 of the last 40 semester hours of academic work must be done in residence as a degree-seeking student. An exception to this rule is the Pre- Engineering Dual-Degree Program in which students may transfer back the equivalent of 32 semester hours and the study abroad program. Hours to be transferred back to Millsaps from a study abroad program by a senior must be pre-approved by the Office of International Education prior to acceptance in the program providing at least 32 total credit hours were earned thru Millsaps College.

Double Counting Policy


Courses taken to satisfy Core requirements may also be used to satisfy either major requirements or additional degree requirements, but not both. Departments, however, may restrict the number of Core courses that will count toward the major. Students should check with the chair of each department.

GPA Required for Graduation


An overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.000 is required for graduation. Transfer students must have a minimum GPA of 2.000 on their Millsaps work. The GPA is calculated on the total number of courses attempted, including courses repeated for a better grade (see section on Grades, Honors, and Class Standing).

Application for Degree Policy


Each candidate for a degree is required to submit a written application for the degree by December 1 of the academic year of graduation. This date also applies to students who plan to complete their work in the summer session. Forms for degree applications are available in the Office of Records.

Requirements for a Second Degree


To earn a second degree from Millsaps College, a student must have a minimum of 32 semester hours beyond those required for the first degree and meet all of the requirements for both the second degree and the additional major.

Meaning of Grades (grades, honors, and class standing as well as change of grade policy)


See catalog.

FR, SO, JR, and SR classification


The following number of hours is required:

• sophomore rating: 28 semester hours
• junior rating: 60 semester hours
• senior rating: 92 semester hours

A student's classification is determined at the beginning of the fall and spring semester.

Definition of a credit hour


One credit hour represents a minimum of 45 hours of engagement with class material or 3 hours of academic engagement per week, over a 14-week semester.

Full-time and part-time student status


Degree-seeking students taking 12 or more semester hours will be classified as full-time students.

Degree-seeking students taking fewer than 12 semester hours will be classified as part-time students.

A nondegree student is a mature person of ability and seriousness of purpose who enrolls for limited academic work and does not plan to seek a degree. Nondegree students observe the same regulations concerning attendance, examination, and proficiency as regular students.

Catalogs for current and returning students


Students who are absent from Millsaps six years or more will ordinarily be required to satisfy the degree and core requirements that are in effect in the catalog year they return to Millsaps. Please consult the Office of Records concerning questions about core and degree requirements and the appropriate department about major requirements.

Credit/No Credit Grade Options


Students must indicate their intention to take a course for credit/no credit by the last day to add classes. Credit/no credit grading requires full participation of the student in all class activities. Credit signifies work of passing quality or above, though it carries no grade points. Core courses and courses taken to meet additional degree requirements may not be taken for credit/ no credit. Courses required for a student's major, core degree, and minor ordinarily may not be taken for credit/no credit. No more than eight semester hours graded credit/no credit may be included in the 128 semester hours required for graduation. Courses taken for credit/no credit will not affect a student's GPA.

Auditing Courses


Courses may be audited if the instructor of the course gives written approval on the registration form. Students must indicate their intention to audit at the time of registration, and once a course has been registered for audit, it may not be changed. No credit is earned for courses that are audited, and the grade of audit does not affect the GPA. For information about fees associated with auditing courses, see the special fees section of the catalog.

Cross-listing courses


Cross-listed courses are limited listings between courses in different departments during an agreed upon semester. A proposed cross-listed course must be approved by all cross-listed department chairs before being submitted for the course schedule. Students may enroll in the cross-listed course department listing they wish to receive credit and the department title on their academic record.

Repeating Coursework


Students may enroll in courses at Millsaps that previously may have been taken. A course may also be repeated at another institution with the prior approval of the student's adviser in consultation with the appropriate department chair. Because Millsaps accepts transfer work only on a nongraded basis, repeating a course at another institution will not improve a student's grade point average at Millsaps. When a course is repeated, no additional course credit is earned, but all grades earned at Millsaps are calculated into the cumulative GPA. All grades reported for the course remain a part of the permanent academic record. Millsaps does not guarantee the availability of courses for repeat credit.

Certain courses that have different content each semester taught may be repeated for credit. Examples of these courses are special topics courses, directed study, directed research, internships, a few major courses, and even some IDST courses.

Occasionally a student may take one of these courses over again with the same course content in order to make a better grade. If this scenario occurs, it is the responsibility of the student and the professor to inform the Office of Records. Credit hours cannot be given twice for two courses with the same content.

Students who wish to repeat a course in which they have received a failing grade twice before may not enroll in the course without the permission of the department offering the course. Students are not allowed to repeat any of the courses in the 1000-1010-2000 sequence in French or Spanish after they have completed a course at the next level. Specifically, students may not repeat 1000 after completion of either 1010 or 2000. Likewise, students may not repeat 1010 after completion of 2000, nor repeat 2000 after completion of 2110.

Graduation with Distinction


A student whose GPA is 3.500 for the entire course shall be graduated cum laude, one whose GPA is 3.700 shall be graduated magna cum laude, and one whose GPA is 3.900 and who has a rating of excellent on the comprehensive examination shall be graduated summa cum laude. To be eligible for graduation cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude, a student must have passed at least 64 semester hours at Millsaps College.

Course Load


Sixteen semester hours per semester is considered the normal load for full-time students. In order to be classified as a full-time student, one must take no fewer than 12 semester hours. Students are not encouraged to register for more than 18 hours of academic work unless they have a cumulative GPA of 3.000. No student may register for more than 20 hours in a semester without a cumulative GPA of 3.000 and permission of the dean of the College. A student will ordinarily not be permitted to register for more than 22 hours in a semester.

Add/drop/withdraw from courses


A student cannot change classes, drop classes, or add new classes except by the consent of the faculty adviser or the dean. All courses added after the first week of classes must have signature of the faculty instructor, approving the add, in addition to their advisors signature. If courses are dropped prior to the last day to drop courses without penalty, the dropped courses will not appear on the student's record. Courses dropped after this date are recorded as W. There is a published date, following midterm grades, after which it is no longer possible to drop a course without the approval of the dean of the College. Students who drop a course without securing the required approvals will receive an F.

Withdrawal from Millsaps College


See catalog.

Medical Withdrawal from Millsaps College


See catalog.

Emergency Withdrawal from Millsaps College


See catalog.



Permission to make up an examination or alter the time for an examination may be granted only by the instructor of the class for a specific student. If an instructor wishes to change the time of a final exam for a class, he or she must obtain permission from the dean of the College.

No student should be required to take more than two final exams on one day. Students will be expected to take the initiative to resolve any conflicts with the appropriate faculty. If a resolution is not reached, the student may appeal to the office of the academic dean.

Senior Exemptions


Students may elect to be exempt from final examinations only in the semester in which they pass their comprehensive examinations and only in those courses in which they have a C average or better. It shall be understood, however, that this exemption does not ensure the student a final grade of C, since daily grades during the last two weeks shall count in the final average. Under no circumstances may a student be exempt from any examination in more than one term or semester. Students may request exemption from other requirements by petition of the dean of the College.

How courses are coded


The first number indicates the class level with 1 primarily for first year students, 2 for sophomores and above, 3 for juniors, and 4 for seniors.

The departmental structure primarily determines the second and third numbers.

The fourth number indicates whether the course is 1, 2, 3, or a 4 hour course. A course number ending in:

1 =  1 hour credit
2 =  2 hours credit
3 =  3 hours credit
0 =  4 hours credit