J.B. Cain Archives of Mississippi Methodism


The Cain Archives is the repository for historical records of the Mississippi Conference, United Methodist Church, and its antecedent groups. The conference was established in 1813 as the Mississippi Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, following Tobias Gibson's appointment from South Carolina to the Natchez Territory in 1799. We welcome you to schedule a visit in-house to enjoy the many manuscripts, photographs and memorabilia available in the collections.

About the J.B. Cain Archives of Mississippi Methodism

Collections

Manuscripts

Church Records & Registers

AB Registers: Account Books

CC Registers: Church Conference Records

QC: Quarterly Conference Registers

CR Church Registers: Membership, Sunday School, Women's Societies

ChR Church Records: Local Churches

Conference Records and Registers

District Records and Registers

DC - District Conference Records

DR - District Records and Reports: Presiding Elders/District Superintendents

DS - District Stewards' Journals

PE - Presiding Elders' Minutes

United Methodist Women

Journals and Newspapers

Mississippi Methodist Historical Society Publications

Published Histories of Mississippi Methodism

Exhibits

Biography

Tobias Gibson: The Man Who Brought Methodism to Mississippi

The Story of the Lambuth Family

William Winans: Early Circuit Rider

Church History

Antecedents to the Mississippi Conference, UMC

Beginnings of Churches and Christian Work in Mississippi

Beginnings of Methodism in North Mississippi

Black Methodists in Mississippi: A Brief History

Historic Methodist Churches and Landmarks in Mississippi

Post Cards of Methodist Churches in Mississippi

Digital Exhibits

John Harry Graham Papers – featuring Upper Mississippi Conference, Gulfside Assembly and Bishop Robert Brooks

Memoirs and Obituaries of Ministers

Mississippi Conference (and Antecedents) Annual Journals

Mississippi Conference (and Antecedents) Histories

About the Archives | Library 
College Archives | Millsaps-Wilson Library | 1701 North State St. | Jackson, MS 39210 | 601.974.1077 | mcintdw@millsaps.edu