Central Church, Jackson, was organized in 1889 as an outgrowth of the Jackson Mission, organized in 1866, and First Church, organized 1876. The mission was located in the area now occupied by Millsaps College on North State Street, and First Church was at the corner of Lamar and Fortification streets. The first sanctuary was a brick structure built in 1892. The present building on North Farish Street, in the Historic Farish Street area, was completed in 1966. James R. Lynch, Mississippi Secretary of State during Reconstruction, was a central figure in the development of the mission that was to become Central Church, and he served as a presiding elder.
Source: Jenkins, William L. Mississippi United Methodist Churches: Two Hundred Years of Heritage and Hope. Franklin, Tennessee: Providence House. 1998. Additional information: Middleton, Mabel Pittman. The Central Connection: A History of the First One Hundred Years at Central United Methodist Church. Jackson, Miss.: Town Square Books. 1998. (Both titles are available at the J. B. Cain Archives.)