A A A print this page

Historic Jefferson College

Jefferson College was founded in 1802, the first institution of higher learning in the southwest territory. Deeply rooted in the history of the Methodist Church in the area, it was closely associated with Washington Church: the second building of the church in 1812 was on the campus. Elizabeth Female Academy and the Washington Campgrounds were also adjacent to the College, all of these landmarks sitting in the first Territorial Capital of the Mississippi Territory, Washington, just north of Natchez. John James Audubon served on the faculty at Jefferson and Lorenzo Dow bought property here for the church.