Wood College in Mathiston, MS, opened in 1886 as Woodland Seminary under the auspices of the Women's Home Missionary Society of the M.E. Church. Initial funds for support came from the Freedmen's Aid Society. Renamed Bennett Academy in 1897, it moved to its present location in 1915. It began teaching junior college courses in 1927 and was renamed Wood College in 1936. This residential college of about 250 students is an independent two-year college located in rural central Mississippi, and is related to the General Board of Global Ministries, United Methodist Church, and serves in the tradition of Methodist higher education. Although not an institution of the Mississippi Conference, its Board of Trustees is Mississippi-based and five are elected by the Mississippi Conference. Wood Hall, built in 1914 and renovated in 1986-87, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cathedral of the Pines on the Wood College campus was completed in 1955 largely with funds from the former North Mississippi Conference United Methodist Women. The college closed in 2003 and the campus buildings housed Wood Institute until it was discontinued in 2008.