Under general direction, the Internship Coordinator is responsible for organizing
the efforts of various internship programs and opportunities across the College, including
strategic direction, community outreach and general guidance for Millsaps students.
This office is responsible for developing a broad strategy, and implementing a comprehensive
approach in programming for the College and its students.
- Maintain existing, and continually seek out new partnerships and internship opportunities
locally, regionally, nationally and internationally for Millsaps students.
- Review internship descriptions submitted to Millsaps by agencies and companies to
assess overall compliance with College guidelines with regard to these requirements.
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure internships support the curriculum of the college.
- Follow-up with representatives of internship sites as needed.
- Resolve student or supervisor issues during internships.
- Meet with individual students to help them choose from available options or to create
an approved option that best matches their career goals.
- Educate students in how to use resources for internships.
- Conduct presentations at meetings of student clubs/organizations and classes.
- Oversee the internship-for-credit program which includes student advisement, the registration
process through the Office of Records, distribution and collection of appropriate
documentation, and evaluation of the written component and intern performance.
- Register and promote internships using industry-specific software, social media, and
other available venues.
- Collaborate with the Institutional Researcher and the Office of Records to collect
and report assessment data pertaining to internships.
- Evaluate procedures and recommend improvements.
- Serve on other college and university committees as needed or requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of relevant work experience.
A Master’s degree is preferred. Candidates must also have:
- Demonstrated experience in higher education programming.
- Working knowledge of student professional development process and current career issues.
- Excellent presentation skills along with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with MS Office, online databases, and social media is required.
- Ability to work regular business hours, some nights and weekends, and some travel
for site visits.
- Ability to analyze information and make judgment decisions.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with department constituents including
staff, employer contacts, vendors, students, alumni, faculty and parents, while establishing
and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Ability to maintain and update logs, files, and records with a high degree of accuracy.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest with salary requirements, a current
resume or CV, three professional references, who may be contacted about the candidate’s
experience and past performance. Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled. Application materials should be submitted via
email to Tonya Nations, Senior Director of Millsaps College Center for Career Education. Only candidates chosen by the committee for an interview will be contacted. No phone
Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background
screening. Millsaps College is a selective, nationally ranked, privately supported
liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. A
member of the Associated Colleges of the South - ACS and NITLE. Millsaps has an NCATE accredited education program and is one of only eight colleges in the nation with
both a Phi Beta Kappa chapter and an AACSB accredited MBA program. The College occupies an attractive 100 acre residential campus
in the heart of Jackson, the capital of the state and its political, financial, legal,
medical, and cultural center. It is located across from a major medical center and
several blocks from a state park and natural science museum. Millsaps College is an
equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.