Learn more about major/minor requirements and courses in the College Catalog
Make a difference - Teach!
Education is a science, but also a gift. Education is a career, and also a cause. If you want to realize your own potential, then we encourage you to speak with our faculty about becoming an educator who will make a difference in the lives of others.
Teacher Licensure at Millsaps College
Millsaps offers Secondary Licensure (grades 7-12) for students majoring in academic disciplines. In addition to courses related to their respective majors, students take 3 Education courses plus the Clinical Practice semester to receive licensure.
Millsaps also offers a MAJOR in Elementary Education, as well as Supplemental Licensure in Special Education.
Teacher Licensure provides students immediate entry into the workforce and various opportunities to maximize their majors. Students can student teach abroad. The jobs are challenging and meaningful. Scholarship opportunities are available.
All licensure programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The Mississippi State Department of Education regulates licensure requirements, which are subject to change.
What makes the Millsaps teacher licensure program distinctive?
- Each semester of the licensure program structures unique and carefully supervised K-12 classroom opportunities and experiences. Direct, hands-on teaching opportunities are integral throughout licensure programs of study.
- The streamlined licensure programs provide and support opportunities for double majors and/or minors in other academic areas.
- The Millsaps College Principals' Institute is a component of the department and brings distinguished scholars and speakers to campus. Licensure candidates participate with principals in sessions led by noteworthy authors and experts.
- The Millsaps Department of Education offers elementary (K-6) and secondary (7-12) teacher licensure as well as dual licensure in Special Education. The teacher licensure program is fully integrated within the liberal arts curriculum of the College. The streamlined and field-based program maximizes student time and potential. Whether in the classroom or a research setting, our students work closely with faculty mentors to develop the skills necessary to advance themselves as educational leaders.
- Our graduates, if they desire, are usually employed upon graduation. They assume positions of leadership as academic program directors, lead teachers, Mississippi Exemplary Teachers, National Board Certified Teachers, school administrators, department chairs, college professors, technology specialists, and other endeavors. Many have received Outstanding Teacher awards in Mississippi and other states. Some teach abroad in such programs as in Korea, Japan, and Germany, while others have gone on to graduate schools in state and out. Some of these schools include Vanderbilt, Columbia, Harvard, the University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, Mississippi College, etc.
- Education students are eligible for the Educational Testing Service Recognition of Excellence program. This is a professional honor recognizing exceptional performance on the Praxis II exam and is not a criterion for making decisions about state licensure, hiring, or promotions. ETS has also established the Diagnostic Preparation Program (DPP) to help examinees who need to retake a Praxis test. Test takers who order the program receive detailed, customized feedback about their strengths and weakness and can plan their study accordingly. Students can visit ETS at http://www.ets.org/ for more information about both programs.
Life After Millsaps
The teacher preparation programs enhance the outstanding academic majors at Millsaps which is one of the primary reasons our graduates are so highly sought after by employers and graduate programs. Our students are prepared to immediately enter the the fields of teaching and education and are readily accepted into graduate schools of law, psychology, religion, business, education, medicine, the sciences, and others. For those students who know they want a career in education or for those students who are interested in sharing their education with others, our acclaimed, nationally accredited program is a perfect match. For those students who are unsure of their long-term career goals, we offer a means to earn a living while contributing to society and becoming more competitive for future graduate study or work experience.