2023 APSI Registration opens February 1, 2023
Millsaps College, in cooperation with the College Board, is pleased to offer two Advanced Placement®
Summer Institutes in the summer of 2023; one online in June and one in-person on our beautiful campus in July, for new and experienced high school teachers currently teaching or preparing to teach AP®
Participants will enjoy four days of hands-on instruction, exploring the latest methods and curriculum topics* in Advanced Placement® education, concluding their experience with a renewed level of enthusiasm for the AP® program; equipped with new ideas and resources for use in their classrooms.
*Pre-AP® topics or middle school–level subjects will not be covered.
2023 APSI Dates
Online — Tuesday, June 20 through Friday, June 23, 2023
In-Person — Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 13, 2023
While professional development is not required to prepare for 2023 AP® course updates and new classroom resources, the College Board encourages all AP® teachers to take advantage of any professional development offered by AP®.
Teachers who plan to attend any AP® Summer Institute should be able to:
- Understand the Course
- The course framework defines the scope of the course and specifies what students must know and do to be successful on the AP® Exam.
- Plan the Course
- Sequencing, pacing, and scaffolding are essential for building students’ understanding and their ability to transfer and apply knowledge and skills.
- Teach the Course
- Effective instructional strategies help students to develop mastery of course content and skills over time.
- Assess Student Progress and Understanding
- Learning requires time, practice, and regular feedback.
Following are AP® courses being offered in both 2023 APSI’s here at Millsaps. To confirm and see assigned instructors, please check our website for each institute through College Board.
- AP® Biology
- AP® Calculus AB
- AP® Chemistry
- AP® Economics – Macro (online only)
- AP® English Language & Composition
- AP® English Literature & Composition
- AP® Physics 1
- AP® US History
- AP® US Government & Politics
- AP® World History: Modern
Each institute is four days. Online is Tuesday, June 20 through Friday, June 23, 2023; in-person is Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 13, 2023
7:30 – 8:00 a.m. – Technology* Check-in (for online) and Classroom Arrival (for in-person)
8:00 – 12:00 p.m. – Instruction Time (includes a 15 min mid-morning break)
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch Break (Online – lunch is on your own; In-Person – Lunch is provided in campus cafeteria)
1:00 – 5:00 p.m. – Instruction Time (includes a 15 min mid-afternoon break)
*Technology troubleshooting will be available to registered online participants on Sunday, June 19 on an as needed basis. Times should be scheduled individually and requested via email at APSI@millsaps.edu.
Online – Tuesday, June 20 through Friday, June 23, 2023
$525 per participant (+ $50 lab fee for some courses)
In-Person – Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 13, 2023
$600 per participant (+ $50 lab fee for some courses)
- Cost of instruction
- All materials
- Refreshments during breaks (In-person only)
- Lunch, Monday through Thursday (In-person only)
For questions or more information, please contact us via email at APSI@millsaps.edu.
Advanced Placement Summer Institute
1701 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39210
* Millsaps AP® Summer Institute is in co-sponsorship with the College Board’s Southern Regional Office. Advanced Placement® and AP® are registered trademarks of the College Board and have been used with permission.