Creative and critical expression, all at your fingertips.
At Millsaps, you can choose a creative approach and major in studio art, a critical approach and major in art history, or a complementary double major in both studio art and art history. You can earn either a BS or BA, or opt to minor in studio art, digital arts, or art history.
A variety of forms of creative expression are explored in studio art classes, and you will learn to set each within its broader cultural context. In the course of work to earn a studio art major or minor, you will develop a voice and a vision—a new mode of seeing and a new form of communication that involves both a deeper connection and a widened perspective.
The art history program will enrich your understanding of the art of Western civilization by setting it within its broader social and cultural context, and by considering the variety of alternatives and responses to the Western tradition. You will explore artistic meaning through responsive as well as analytical discussion and writing, and learn to trust and strengthen your own voice as you acquire an understanding of the vocabulary and methods of analysis of the discipline of art history.
- Students who major in studio art have the option of pursuing a concentration in digital arts. A concentration on digital arts focuses on artistic work that uses digital technology as an essential part of the creative or presentation process. A minor is available to majors in art history and any other major outside of the Art Department. It is not allowed for majors in studio art.
- An art history major can be combined with a concentration in museum studies. The combination offers possibilities for employment at a museum.
- Interested in applying for a Millsaps College Arts Scholarship? Find out more by clicking here.
View the art history requirements:
- BA in art history and studio art
- BS in art history and studio art
- BA in art history
- BS in art history
- BA in art history, museum studies concentration
- BS in art history, museum studies concentration
- minor in art history
Browse all art history courses.
View the studio art requirements:
- BA in studio art
- BS in studio art
- BA in studio art, digital arts concentration
- BS in studio art, digital arts concentration
- minor in studio art
The Windgate Visual Arts Center, completed in 2019, offers students the finest in studio and gallery space.