Pre-Medical Program with William Carey University School of Osteopathic Medicine Requirements
In order to be considered for the program, the following requirements must be met:
1. Admission to Millsaps College.
2. Minimum combined SAT score of 1200 in the critical reading and math sections (not including the writing section), or an ACT score of 26.
3. Presentation for an interview to be conducted jointly by representatives of Millsaps College and William Carey University School of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM).
The partnership with William-Carey University School of Osteopathic Medicine offers guaranteed admission to qualifying Millsaps graduates.
Following the interview the individual will be informed by Millsaps College of his/her acceptance or rejection for the program. Entrance will be done on a competitive basis and limited to ten (10) students per year.
In order to secure their guaranteed acceptance into WCUCOM, the following conditions must be met:
1. Maintenance of a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher as well as a science (biology, chemistry, physics) GPA of 3.25 or higher. Academic performance will be monitored throughout enrollment at Millsaps College.
2. The candidate must make no grade lower than C (C- is lower than C) during their Millsaps education.
3. No more than two (2) science classes may be taken at an institution other than Millsaps.
4. The candidate must earn a Baccalaureate degree from Millsaps College.
5. The following courses must be completed by the end of the junior year:
- Three semesters of General Biology with labs (BIOL 1001, 1003, 1011, 1013, 1021, and 1023)
- Two semesters of Inorganic Chemistry with labs (CHEM 1213 and 1223)
- Two Semesters of Organic Chemistry with labs (CHEM 2110 and 2120)
- Two semesters of Physics (PHYS 1003 and 1013)
- Two semesters of Our Human Heritage (FYHH 1010 and 1020)
- One semester of Biochemistry (CHEM 3610)
- One semester of Microbiology BIOL 3520)
- One semester of Psychology (PSYC 1000)
- One semester of Sociology (SOAN 1000)
- Two semesters of any of the following:
- i. Human Anatomy and Physiology with labs (BIOL 3440 & 3450)
- ii. Genetics (BIOL 2003)
- iii. Histology (BIOL 3100)
- iv. Comparative Animal Physiology (BIOL 3400)
- v. Human and Comparative Embryology (BIOL 3430)
- vi. Molecular Cell Biology (BIOL 3301)
- vii. Immunology (BIOL 3510)
- viii. Introduction to Neuroscience (NEUR 2000)
6. Attain a minimum MCAT total score of 500 or higher with individual sections scores of 125 or higher.
7. Documentation of at least 50 hours of health care experience with at least 8 hours done with a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.
8. Satisfactory interview with the Millsaps Pre-Health Committee with WCUCOM representation by the fall semester of the final year of college.
9. Submission of a college record free of dismissals, suspensions, or probations.
10. Submission of a complete primary application to WCUCOM through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) prior to the end of the fall semester of the final year of college.
11. Submission of a complete secondary application to WCUCOM prior to the end of the fall semester of the final year of college.
12. Evidence that the candidate is able to meet the Minimal Technical Standards for Admission as set forth by WCUCOM.
13. Submission of a criminal background check revealing no disqualifying history prior to matriculation at WCUCOM.
14. Submission of a “negative” drug/alcohol test prior to matriculation at WCUCOM.