A non-degree student is a mature person of ability and seriousness of purpose who enrolls for limited academic work and does not plan to seek a degree at Millsaps College. This may be for the purposes of earning professional certification, admission to graduate or professional schools, taking course work to transfer to another institution, or for personal interest. Applicants should submit the Non-Degree Student Application Form to the Office of Records. During fall, spring, and summer semesters, non-degree applicants must request an official transcript from the last institution of higher learning attended/the institution where the student has earned a degree. If the non-degree student has not attended college, an official high school transcript will be required. In some cases, a letter of good standing may be needed as well. These documents are required for admission and must be submitted prior to registration. Please send all documents to the Office of Records at Millsaps College (1701 N. State Street, Campus Box 150436 (ATTN: Kathie Adams), Jackson, MS 39210).
The following policies apply to non-degree students:
- Non-degree students observe the same regulations concerning attendance, examination, and proficiency as regular students.
- Non-degree students may enroll in courses without regard to graduation requirements but must meet prerequisites for courses chosen.
- Non-degree students wishing to apply for a degree program at Millsaps College must reapply, provide full credentials, and meet admission requirements for degree-seeking students.
- Millsaps College reserves the right not to admit students into non-degree status based on prior educational background.
High School Students
High school students interested in taking college classes at Millsaps may enroll as non-degree students under certain circumstances.
- High school students must meet the requirements listed below in addition to the regular admission requirements for non-degree students.
- Must have all A’s in the subject area they wish to study. High school students must have taken all available courses at their high schools in the subject before they will be admitted to a college-level course. A possible exception would be a subject in which no prior knowledge is assumed.
- Must provide a letter from his/her principal assessing his maturity and capacity for performing responsibly in a college-level classroom.
- Must provide a high school transcript.
- Rising freshmen or sophomores must have an overall grade point average of 3.8. Rising juniors and seniors must have an overall grade point average of 3.5.
If you have specific questions about the non-degree application process, please contact Kathie Adams, Assistant Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 601.974.1124.