Congratulations, Students – You’re Almost There!
The end is in sight – you’ll soon be a graduate of Millsaps College! There’s a lot going on between now and then, so we’ve put together this checklist of things you need to be sure to do in order to graduate.
If you are an undergraduate student approaching graduation and you haven’t already done so, you need to schedule your core/major/degree audit with the Office of Records as soon as possible. This is to make sure you have all the classes you need to graduate. You’ll also need to apply for graduation using the graduation application in Major Portal.
If you are a graduate student, you’ll need to meet with Naomi Freeman, director of administration with the Else School, to be sure you have all the classes you need to graduate. You’ll also need to apply for graduation using the graduation application in Major Portal.
- Order your graduation announcements/invitation through the Millsaps Bookstore.
- Use Herff Jones to mail your invitations to commencement. Graduation announcements should be ordered 3-4 weeks in advance of when you will need them. Order your invitations online here.
- Your cap and gown can be ordered when you complete the graduation application. Within the application is a link to Graduate Supply, the company that provides caps and gowns for commencement. If you did not order a cap and gown when completing your graduation application, click here for the cap and gown order form. If you are unsure whether you ordered your cap and gown, email email@example.com.
- If you intend on earning a minor to go along with your degree and major, you must declare it with the Office of Records by the end of this month.
- Undergraduates and MBA and MAcc degree candidates completing the honors program may wish to purchase academic hoods. The cost of a hood is $125. Contact the Office of Records by March 28 to purchase your hood. Payment must be made to the Business Office by noon on Friday, May 6.
- If you are a federal Direct Loan student borrower and/or a federal Perkins Loan student borrower, be sure to complete mandatory exit counseling for those loans. The Office of Financial Aid and the Business Office will be contacting you by email to provide instructions for completing the federally required loan exit counseling online. Federal Direct Loans and federal Perkins Loans are separate loan programs. If you received loans under both programs, you must complete online exit counseling for each type of loan.
- Please consider what you want to wear to commencement under your cap and gown. It is recommended that you wear comfortable, light-weight clothing, as commencement exercises are scheduled for the Bowl and it can get warm. Dark, comfortable, closed-toe flat shoes are also recommended, as higher heels can be challenging on the grass. Caps should be worn at all times, but may be removed as indicated by the actions of the Provost.
- For undergraduates, the Writing Center invites submissions of Core 10 essays through Chalk & Wire for consideration for the Laney Award. This is one of three awards presented at commencement.
- Pick up your cap and gown from the bookstore between Wednesday, May 4 and Friday, May 6, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., prior to Saturday’s graduation.
- Undergraduates, make plans to attend The Last Hurrah on Thursday evening, May 5. Watch for more details from the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations.
- Attend graduation rehearsal on Friday, May 6, at 1:30 p.m. The rehearsal is mandatory for all degree candidates (both undergraduate and graduate). We will meet in the Recital Hall in the Gertrude C. Ford Academic Complex.
- During rehearsal, be sure to fill out the Career Center survey and the graduate information sheet for the Alumni Office so we can keep up to date with you as an alum.
- Drop by the Post Office to fill out a change of address form so your mail can be forwarded from your campus box to a new address.
- Be sure to order any official transcripts you may need to be sent to graduate school or your new employer through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Attend the baccalaureate service on Friday, May 6. The service begins at 6 p.m. at Galloway United Methodist Church. You will meet in the church gathering area and line up on the mezzanine level. Academic attire (caps and gowns) is required.
- On Saturday, May 7, at 8:30 a.m., you will meet in the lobby of the Gertrude C. Ford Academic Complex. Academic attire (caps and gowns) is required. At 9:30 a.m., commencement activities will begin in the Bowl. In case of rain, the ceremony will be held at Christ United Methodist Church. Please note: if commencement exercises are moved to Christ United Methodist Church, the start time will be moved back one hour to 10:30 a.m.
- Residence halls and fraternity houses will close Saturday, May 7, at 5:00 p.m. In addition, your Millsaps ID card will no longer work on campus after the term ends.