The Assistant Dean of Students for Student Life, Diversity and Inclusion provides leadership for student diversity, inclusion and intercultural support. The position also provides overall leadership for student engagement services and programs, including residence life, student organizations, the Student Body Association, the student conduct and accountability program, fraternities and sororities and new student orientation.
- Create and support a student-centered environment that cultivates community and belonging for all students.
- Develop, implement and assess diversity related student programs, educational initiatives and professional development opportunities within Student Life in collaboration with departments across campus.
- Lead efforts to provide student training and programming to foster understanding and respect for diverse beliefs, attitudes and behaviors.
- Maintain awareness of best practices and emerging trends relating to student development and engagement; housing and residence life; diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging and overall student services.
- Participate in the work of the CARE team. Track progress and provide support for students from diverse backgrounds, including first generation college students.
- Ensure reliable advisement for all student organizations, including all cultural, intercultural and identity-based student organizations.
- Collaborate with the Director of Student Life to advise fraternity and sorority chapters and councils. Advisement includes supporting membership recruitment and intake processes; facilitating training opportunities on areas such as harm reduction, philanthropic support, leadership development and organization management; and maintaining effective relationships with chapter advisors, house corporation officers and inter/national organizations’ volunteers/staff.
- Manage the student accountability and conduct process.
- Supervise the Director of Student Life and Coordinator for Inclusion and Involvement.
- Serve on the Millsaps College Title IX team and on the Student Life Emergency On Call team.
- Oversee the Division of Student Life’s evaluation and assessment process.
- Oversee the creation of reports, information, data and analysis for the Division of Student Life. Effectively utilize Colleague/Datatel, Microsoft Office and other software programs to perform administrative functions of the position.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and counseling skills
- Experience with establishing strong working relationships with faculty, staff, students and other campus constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent, sound, analytical/diagnostic judgments.
- Flexibility to manage complex roles which require a broad base of knowledge.
- Ability to work during evenings and weekends.
- Master’s degree, preferably in Higher Education Administration, College Student Affairs, Guidance and Counseling or a related field.
- At least 5 years post-secondary experience in professional student affairs/student development work.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to Tara Hunter at email@example.com. Please write “Assistant Dean for Student Life, Diversity and Inclusion” in the subject line of the email.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.