The Associate Registrar provides leadership to staff and ensures the development and implementation of policies and procedures for managing the Office of Records. The Associate Registrar represents the Registrar as directed and provides a high quality of customer service and senior project leadership on special projects. The Associate Registrar provides overall coordination of nonexempt personnel with office operations, coordinates the document imaging process, coordinates reporting to the Veteran’s Administration, serves as the college’s primary DSO for international student immigration issues, masters FERPA regulations in order to serve as a resource, and represents the Office of Records on high-level college committees in addition to any other duties as assigned. The Associate Registrar is responsible for student degree audits to determine undergraduate degree completion, the issuance of all college diplomas and certificates, and serves as the Office of Records representative for commencement.
The Associate Registrar works with students, faculty, staff, and others in an accessible and friendly manner, exhibiting integrity, confidentiality, consistency, responsiveness, reliability, and general knowledge of academic policies and of the College as a whole. The Associate Registrar follows the AACRAO principles of professional ethics and practice.
- Administers and provides direction to the Office of Records staff in goal setting, assists in departmental planning, identifies and solves operational and/or personnel challenges, clarifies expectations, and processes.
- Interacts with departments and faculty to resolve challenges, implements new procedures and consistency, and evaluates programs and services to enable responses to changing priorities.
- Develops and provides guidance to office staff members to update knowledge, upgrade skills, and ensure quality services and maintains office procedural documentation.
- Coordinates office equipment, develops knowledge of relevant technologies, and makes recommendations to update systems in order to maintain an efficient operation.
- Serves on ad hoc and/or high-level committees to represent the Office of Records and strengthen communication between various campus constituencies.
- Enforces established policy and makes recommendations for policy changes when appropriate.
- Serves as a College FERPA expert, including providing training opportunities for College staff
- Coordinates with the Business Office to ensure compliance with fee payment, refund, and credit policies by approving or rejecting charging for drops and withdrawals.
- Serves as the College’s VA School Certifying Official, coordinating with Financial Aid, Business Office, and Admissions.
- Serves as the College’s primary Designated School Official for international student immigration issues.
- Supervises the document imaging process within the Office of Records, including coordination of the documents to be imaged, training and overseeing the employees involved in scanning and indexing, creating and maintaining the schedule for scanning, and managing the responsibilities associated with the imaging process.
- Coordinates with the Data Analyst to provide accurate information to the Registrar, Cabinet, Executive Staff, and others using developed or ad hoc reports via the College’s reporting system.
- Maintains the academic integrity of the application for graduation process by managing the process that compares the student’s academic record with established degree requirements.
- Assures historical data is preserved and accessible by maintaining graduated student files and degrees awarded.
- Contributes to the success of commencement and graduation ceremonies by serving on the Commencement Committee, providing a list of degree candidates (graduate and undergraduate) and their scholastic honors for the commencement program, providing Office of Records updates for the commencement website, assuring an adequate supply of diploma covers, mailers, and paper, overseeing the production, content, and distribution of commencement name cards, ordering caps, gowns, and honors hoods, and assisting during the commencement ceremony.
- Oversees the final graduation process by reviewing final graduation deficiencies, notifying graduation candidates and department chairs of deficiencies and steps to resolution, assuring processes run in proper timing and sequence to meet published College timelines, posting degrees to the official transcript, and developing the final graduation list.
- Creates schedule and assists with the submission of graduated student information to the National Student Clearinghouse and assists in resolving clearinghouse inquiries and discrepancies.
- Processes major declaration forms, minor declaration forms, and change of advisor requests.
- Resolves problems and enhances various processes, projects, procedures, etc. by employing critical thinking and creativity.
- Contributes to a competent, productive, and effective staff by supervising assigned staff.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Registrar.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Records by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Associate Registrar is supervised by the Registrar. Although all Office of Records staff report directly to the Registrar, the Associate Registrar is responsible for day-to-day supervision of Office of Records staff, and makes recommendations regarding the change of status of Office of Records staff.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Experience: Minimum of three years of previous administrative experience. Experience working with complex data systems is required, and experience working with the Colleague student information system is preferred. Preference will be afforded to applicants with experience working within higher education as well to applicants with prior supervisory experience. Prior experience working with veteran’s benefits and/or international students is a bonus.
- Skills: Dependability, excellent management, leadership, interpersonal, customer service, organizational, and verbal and written communication are a requirement. Management skills in the selection and supervision of employees are required. The ability to learn and use query tools are required. The ability to effectively disseminate management information regarding academic regulations and degree requirements to various college constituencies is required. The ability to manage details associated with the implementation of complex policies and procedures is required. Effective decision-making skills are required. The ability to interpret and enforce college, state, and federal regulations is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds is required.
Applicants should submit a current resume, a letter of interest and three references who may be contacted about the candidate’s experience and past performance. Materials should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Associate Registrar” in the subject line of the email.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.