The Athletics Office Coordinator oversees the day-to-day functioning of the Department of Athletics to ensure an effective, efficient and welcoming office environment. This position manages the Athletics phone line, assists with ordering supplies, equipment and tracking budgets, monitoring the department email, coordinating meetings and events and provides administrative support to the Athletic Director. The Office Coordinator interacts with a diverse volume of students, athletes, coaches, faculty and staff, vendors and the general public which requires strong customer service and communication skills.
A successful candidate must be highly organized, take initiative and able to move things forward reliably with minimal direction. This position will be required to work select weekend events throughout the year. This position reports directly to the Athletic Director.
This is a 37.5 hour per week position with regular office hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break.
- Greets visitors, answers Athletics phone line and routs calls or messages to appropriate staff members
- Manages the main athletics email account. Responds appropriately and/or forwards emails to the respective coach or campus office.
- Updates and maintains student-athlete databases for the Athletic Department
- Tracks and processes all department purchase card statements and invoices monthly
- Submits work orders for all department needs
- Maintains and organizes office supplies and equipment, reserves meeting rooms upon request, collects and distributes department mail daily.
- Manages the Athletic Director’s calendar and assists with travel and meeting planning
- Assists with monitoring and approving student worker hours and ensures accurate time keeping records for payroll purposes
- Responsible for coordination and execution of Athletics Department events (selecting dates, reserving rooms, preparing communication, coordinating speakers and refreshments, etc.)
- Manages and orders concession supplies and keeps track of inventory
- Coordinates vendors, ticketing and student-worker staff for all football games
- Compiles weekly sports list for missed class excuses
- Other duties as assigned by the Director or Associate Directors of Athletics
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, or an equivalent mix of education and experience
- 3 – 5 years administrative office experience
- Proficient in Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to compose well-written emails, communications and PowerPoint presentations
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision while demonstrative strong independent judgment
- Strong telephone etiquette with a focus on customer service
- Ability to work well with others from a broad range of personalities, positions, and cultural backgrounds
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Manual dexterity needed for keyboarding and other repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift and move up to 35 pounds regularly without assistance.
Interested candidates should email a copy of their resume, a letter of interest and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Athletics Office Coordinator.” No phone calls please.
Millsaps College is a selective institution of higher education located on 100 beautiful acres in the heart of Jackson, the capital of Mississippi — a progressive southern metropolitan city of nearly half a million. Millsaps is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of the region. The college was founded in 1890 by members of the Methodist Church and is consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education.
Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 750 students and employs 80 full-time faculty members. The faculty/student ratio at Millsaps is 1:9, and the average class size is 14. Millsaps has graduated 25 Fulbright Award recipients, seven Rhodes Scholars, six Goldwater Scholars and two Truman Scholars. Millsaps is a member of the NCAA Division III and Southern Athletic Association and competes in 18 intercollegiate sports.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and verification of employment. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
For additional information about Millsaps College please visit Millsaps.edu