Millsaps College, a private, residential liberal arts college located in the capital city of Jackson, Mississippi, seeks a Director of Human Resources.
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Director of Human Resources provides leadership and direction for the college’s comprehensive human resources functions, including but not limited to, compensation and benefits administration, position control and budgeting, recruitment and employment services, training and development, employee engagement and relations, regulatory and legal compliance and recordkeeping, payroll administration and human resources information systems. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the development and implementation of new policies, services and programs to meet the needs of the campus community. This position requires a true strategic business partner who is collaborative and capable of building consensus and commitment toward shared outcomes.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Provides strategic direction and oversight of the college’s compensation programs; ensures regulatory compliance and market-based salary levels necessary to attract and retain appropriately qualified employees.
- Demonstrates and reinforces the college’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access in staffing and recruitment.
- Provides direction and oversight in the development and implementation of employee relations programs designed to foster a positive and productive work environment.
- Oversees recruitment efforts to ensure that the college is effectively and efficiently sourcing and selecting the right candidates. Develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Works with the office of marketing and communications to ensure that the college’s website for human resources, particularly for recruitment, is updated to provide maximum information and convenience to current and future employees.
- Maintains all job descriptions.
- Develops and leads the performance management process and assists in the identification and implementation of performance remediation plans as necessary.
- Participates in coaching, disciplining, and termination of employees.
- Ensures open communications with all employees. Leads the employee recognition activities and manages the annual years of service recognition program for the college.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all relevant laws and regulations relating to employment and ensures compliance, including educating and advising supervisors and senior leaders on human resources related legal and regulatory matters and ensuring human resources programs, practices and policies are aligned.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range institutional goals and objectives, as well as, policies and operating procedures. Monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness and effects change required for improvement.
- Maintains the staff handbook.
- Directs on-boarding, training and development programs through vice presidents, directors and departmental managers that address personal, professional, and organizational needs of the college, its employees and departments.
- Oversees all payroll processes, including student employment.
- Directs the administration of insurance, retirement, and other benefits programs. Evaluates and develops recommendations for improvements to employer-sponsored benefit programs.
- Serves as a Title IX representative responsible for providing written summaries and recommendations based on investigative findings. Acts as the institutional investigator regarding complaints and violations of institutional policies/procedures. Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Handles the state unemployment process and files appeals as appropriate. Responsible for the workers’ compensation program.
- Ensures compliance with the Equal Employment Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act and other federal and state labor regulations.
- Completes the annual federal IPEDS report as required.
- Evaluates procedures to streamline and/or automate processes, improve services, reduce paper-flow, and advance human resources data management; implements changes as required.
- Conducts research and analysis of organizational trends including reviewing both internal and external reports and metrics.
- Develops and oversees departmental budget.
- Facilitates professional development, training, and certification activities for human resources staff.
- Ensures the accuracy, security, and integrity of data within the human resources area.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the college and employees
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn the college’s human resource systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- At least seven years of human resource management experience required
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred
Interested candidates should email a copy of their resumé to email@example.com.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compliance with Title IX
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Millsaps College does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for admission on the basis of sex. Policies and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination and harassment can be found at https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix. Reports can be made to the Title IX Team by filing a sexual misconduct or Title IX complaint at this link: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#file-complaint. Inquiries related to the application of Title IX at Millsaps should be referred to the college’s Title IX team (contact information is found here: https://www.millsaps.edu/resources/title-ix/#coordinators) and external inquires can be made to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202-1100 (800) 421-3481, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
About Millsaps College
Millsaps is an accredited, privately supported, national liberal arts college founded by members of the Methodist Church in 1890. Consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education, Millsaps has been praised by Colleges That Change Lives, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, the John Templeton Foundation, The Fiske Guide to Colleges and Insight Magazine.
Millsaps College’s Vision
Building on its motto, Ad Excellentiam, its strong heritage of social justice, freedom of thought and reflection on life’s most important questions, and its central location in the capital city of Mississippi, Millsaps engages students in a transformative learning and leadership experience that results in personal and intellectual growth, commitment to good citizenship in our global society and a desire to succeed and make a difference in every community they touch.
Millsaps College’s Mission
Millsaps College is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of our region.